Valve seat help


Old 11-27-17, 03:29 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Valve seat help

I live in an older home (1930s) and over the years have had issues with the hot water handle in the bathtub. I have changed the washer countless times, and it DID work, but now it does not.
This time the hot water drip turned into the hot water running slowly. I went downstairs and turned off the hot water and hot water heater to conserve my water bill.
Now, when I turn the COLD water on in the tub, some of it runs out of the hot water side, from around the hot water handle. Wtf right?
I've removed the hot water handle and stem (my usual routine when changing the washer) and looked inside. I guess most valve seats are square or hex shaped. Mine is not. If anything it's just a circular shaped brass hole.
Do my symptoms sound like the valve seat?
If yes, can someone please explain how I can fix it?
I have other plumbing issues too and am short on cash so I'm glad I found this site.
Hopefully someone has dealt with this issue before.
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-17, 04:00 AM
Norm201's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: United States
Posts: 9,032
Received 234 Votes on 209 Posts
Sounds like you need to re-grind the seat and replace the washers. Not the best solution but if you're short on cash this may help. You can buy a cheap seat grinder from the local home improvement store but I would opt for a better one from a plumbing house. It may cost about $20.
Old 11-27-17, 11:05 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Got 1 today. We'll see how it goes.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title: