Dishwasher drain

Old 11-27-17, 10:07 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dishwasher drain

When I started to switch out my dishwasher for a new one, I found the drain hose had been looped and connected directly to the waste pipe for my septic system without a trap. Does the dishwasher have some type of internal trap or are we open to sewer gas from the septic tank. Can't say we ever noticed any odor.

Old 11-27-17, 10:44 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 742 Votes on 683 Posts
Generally a dishwasher drain feeds into the drain under a kitchen sink above the sinks trap. How is your drain connected directly to the drain system? I'm curious what fittings they used. I have never looked it up but assume that a trap must be used Just like a clothes washing also gets a trap.

Old 11-27-17, 10:45 AM
In California an air gap is required.
The most accepted ways to drain a dishwasher are an air gap or the high-loop method. Either one will create a vacuum break to prevent sewer gas and ensure no water pools inside the bottom of the dishwasher.
The dishwasher is drained into a disposer or a branch tailpiece. I have heard of ABS/PVC (glued) fittings with a branch but I would not recommend it.

Attached Images  
Old 11-27-17, 02:09 PM
L
They tapped into the waste pipe with a 1" copper pipe and ran it through the floor. They took a dishwasher drain hose ,
looped it up Behind the dishwasher and down into the waste pipe extention.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: