Shower controls (Mixer, diverter) placement in large shower

Old 11-27-17, 02:30 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shower controls (Mixer, diverter) placement in large shower

Planning out my bathroom renovation, in final stages.

See the attached image, all drawn to scale. The shower is long 79" and will be a little short of 36" wide. The door is 24" wide. I

You'll see I have a small 10 inch wall along the left side - this was engineered to use a stock 3piece shower door kit for some savings. If you're curious about the short height its because theres a soffit above half the shower.

I'll have a rainfall shower above and a standard on the right wall. I originally considered putting controls all on left wall, but its too far in my opinion to tweak temperatures and pressure while showering.

I planned to use a two piece Mixer/Pressure and Diverter Combo. To divert water to either or both heads.

What I'm leaning at now is putting the controls on the inside of the half wall. Whats your thoughts? Also any thoughts on placement of an alcove for shampoo/soap? I'm thinking in the half wall also. Open to any other thoughts or feedback on this layout in general.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-17, 03:09 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Lot of extra piping if you put a diverter on the half-wall, means you will have to snake two separate lines down, into the floor and up a wall and then one across the ceiling. I understand your reasoning, so you can turn on the hot water without getting into the shower. I'd almost recommend a redesign to account for this.

Shower niches are only good if you can do the framing and it is not on an exterior wall. One, you are at the mercy of where the framing is and your niches then become off center to the build. and if on an exterior wall, you loose insulation in that area and can get a cold spot in your shower.

Old 11-27-17, 03:53 PM
J
Hmm. I've got relatively few options (I think), for reconfiguring. Very small house, really no options for moving the door - and there is stacked laundry in the room. (Second floor, this is a master bathroom). The attached shows my proposed layout - the north and west walls are exterior walls - the door and the main vent stack on the East wall really cant move. Based on the room layout adjacent to this, the door cant move to the South wall. On this diagram I showed where existing plumbing is so the position of the toilet shown is a couple of feet west (towards the shower) then it was).

This room used to have a huge bay window and very large jacuzzi tub.

There happens to be a water supply coming out of the floor pretty much right in front of that half wall (it used to plumb the tub), so the water isnt going in too many directions.

A few things - the floor joists run perpendicular to the shower (long way in this room).

I definitely agree about the risk of it being a cold shower, a little worried about that. Only thing I've got is going above spec on the insulation on the shower walls.

Not sure of best approach, very open to suggestion.

Attached Images  
Old 11-27-17, 04:24 PM
While I read your intent to save money and these suggestions will be counter to that, we need to think of functionality and usability when it comes to design.

Once suggestion would be to reduce the size of the 72" double vanity and squeeze a double into a shorter footprint of move to a single. Think of how many times you truly needed two sinks.

Maintain your bench in your shower as this is something that is useful as you age and the ladies like it for personal grooming. But change the orientation of your door so that you can access you showers on/off handle from a closer proximity to the door without having to reach a mile to turn on the water and possibly get wet in the process. This also puts all the plumbing in one wall for an easier and more efficient build. Will also give a little more room in your shower.

Very rough sketch for visual.

Attached Images  
Old 11-28-17, 08:26 PM
J
I already lost the battle with the 'boss' about only having one sink in the vanity ...I agree and rather have one sink and more counter space, she wants two. That said the 72 inch vanity is already on order and enroute. It was an interesting suggestion to corner the shower but I also don't feel like I need that shower to get any bigger, it's already pretty big in my opinion.

I've played with the layout endlessly and literally can't come up with more than one potential general layout given that I want a large shower and large vanity and I'm stuck with the laundry in this room.

If I stick with the shower configuration I showed, where would you suggest to put the mixer and diverter? I'm leaning now toward the left wall. Shower is 77 inches wide arms length reaching the mixer you can still feel the water for adjustments but still stay dry for the initial turn on. Not sure.

Old 11-29-17, 03:53 PM
You can do a modification and treat it as a Tub combo. Meaning, that even though it is not a tub, install a tub spout so that when you turn on the water, it comes out a tub spout. You can warm the water to the right temp and then divert it to a shower/rain head after it has come to temp. The tub spout will look a little odd, but it would allow you to consolidate all your plumbing and diverters onto the main shower head wall. It will also help you get to temp faster as the tub spout has a greater flow than a shower head. Just a thought.