Bottom sliding shower track

Old 11-30-17, 09:37 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bottom sliding shower track

I just moved into this place. Took a shower, found out it leaks really bad under the gap of the door. After looking at it and looking on the interwebs, looks to me that the track itself is installed backwards. The taller lip is on the inside. I'm on wrong? If so how to I fix it?

Attached Images    

Last edited by Gunguy45; 12-01-17 at 01:16 AM. Reason: reoriented pics...whew.
Old 11-30-17, 09:53 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
First question, is this a home you are buying or renting? If renting you do NOT fix it but request the landlord to make the repairs. Best to make the request in writing and keep a copy for yourself. If YOU do anything you could be found liable for any related damages and doing the written request helps to protect you in case the landlord tries to blame you for any damages later on.

Old 11-30-17, 10:04 PM
A
No. Not renting. Bought and didn't realize when inspecting.
But your saying it's backwards then?

Old 11-30-17, 10:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,899 Upvotes on 1,705 Posts
Old 12-01-17, 01:15 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
To move it you'll have to remove the doors, take off the top rail, remove the side tracks, then remove the bottom and flip it, reinstall the sides, top, and door. The bottom and sides will have caulk underneath as well as mechanical fasteners on the sides (the sides hold the bottom in place). After removal you'll need to clean all surfaces (they make caulk softeners that help if needed). Don't use metal tools that can scratch.

It's not really that hard a job, just kinda time consuming if you've never done similar. The manual and video X linked will be very helpful, read and watch them a couple of times before you start, comparing to your door.

No...there are no shortcuts.

Old 12-01-17, 03:18 AM
Group Moderator
And since your middle keeper piece (middle of track in pictures 2 and 3) DOES go on the outside, but has been installed on the wrong side of the track, once you turn the bottom track around, you will have 2 exposed holes on the inside of the track. You might need to fill those holes with JB waterweld or caulk.

You will want to have the scoring and thin linoleum blades that come with a knife like this as you undercut the caulking on that bottom track. A couple cedar shims might also be helpful to stick underneath the track as you start to cut it free.

Old 12-01-17, 08:12 AM
A
Thanks for quick replys! Doesn't seem to hard. Looks like I better get started!

Old 12-01-17, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
You might want to check to see if you could get a whole new lower track if the holes bother you. They wouldn't bother me enough to even try to fill them, since the track will be getting water in it that runs down the glass anyway.

Old 12-01-17, 09:25 AM
A
I'm like you. Won't bother me any.

Old 12-01-17, 03:24 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Well, certainly looks backwards. Personally, I don't see any caulking so the pull and reinstall should go smoothly. I think the center stop is in the right place on the track as the lower portion will need a guide for the outer (soon to be inner) door. It looks new, probably just put in to get the house on the market. Definitely a first time install by someone.

Old 12-02-17, 12:02 AM
A
Completed it. Hardly any silicone. No wall anchors and definitely backwards. But finished it up. Went back together smoothly! Thanks for everyone's recommendations.

Old 12-02-17, 06:23 AM
Group Moderator
Good job. That should have been a pretty simple fix. Thanks for posting back!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: