Leaking shower

Old 01-09-18, 09:46 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Leaking shower

I have an all in one fiberglass shower unit. It has drywall on three sides. Recently I have noticed water coming from under the wall onto the floor in the bathroom. This is the end where the faucet is located. I cannot see anything because it is a finished wall and there is a cabinet on the other side.
Do I need to pull out the shower to get to the pipes to fix this?

Old 01-09-18, 10:32 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
First step is to remove the shower handle escutcheon, and get a camera and light in there to look. Depending on what you find, it would likely be easier to remove the cabinet.

Old 01-09-18, 11:07 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
If you have a crawl space or basement under the shower you can look from below and hopefully see the source. Or, if there is a closet on the back side of the faucet you can cut a hole in the sheetrock to see inside the wall.

One trick is to get some buckets. Turn on the shower and catch all the water in the buckets. If the leak appears on the floor you know the source is the faucet or piping connecting up to the shower head. If the leak only appears when you let the water hit the floor of the shower than it's likely the leak is where the drain pipe connects to the shower pan.

Old 01-09-18, 03:43 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Great advice so far, but pictures would help us see what you see. Do you have a shower door or use a curtain to contain the water?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: