Oil leaking from jetted bath tub?

Old 01-10-18, 09:04 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Oil leaking from jetted bath tub?

I need some help troubleshooting what I think may be an issue with our jetted tub. History: we moved into this home about 3 months ago, house was built in 2004 and I assume the tub is original. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe we have a Jacuzzi brand bath tub.
I've bathed in the tub many times and I'm still dealing with the brown flakes (that's for another day) but the weirdest thing happened yesterday. After the tub had been running about 20-30 minutes, a brown ring formed around the tub. It was fairly opaque and solid (not spotty like a tub ring can look). It appeared fairly suddenly and is difficult to rub off. I just wiped down the walls of the tub the night prior so I'm certain this is not just typical build-up. Is this oil from the motor leaking into the tub? If so, what should we do to find the issue. If not, thoughts on what this is? The tub seemed to be running fine when I noticed the ring.

Old 01-10-18, 09:26 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
I think it's the soap scum, bath oil and crud from years of use. Jetted tubs are notorious for the inside of the plumbing becoming covered in scum that eventually comes off into the water.

Old 01-10-18, 09:43 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
I have to agree with Dane as there is no oil in those motors.

Old 01-10-18, 12:37 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
OK, thanks for the info. It was certainly odd to just appear so suddenly like that and to have never have seen this type of substance after using it over a dozen times over the past few months. If there's no oil in the motor then I guess we have nothing to worry about. Thanks for the help everyone!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: