Leaky toilet from tank

Old 01-16-18, 02:54 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Leaky toilet from tank

My toilet had ghost flush occasionally. So i shut off water today and put some food dyes in the tank. After a day, the tank lost about half gallon water, but the water in the bowl is still clear. No water on the floor. So where did the water go? I thought it should leak to the bowl. Thanks.

Old 01-16-18, 03:06 PM
H
Received 8 Upvotes on 7 Posts
1/2 gal per day is a pretty slow leak. I had a couple American Stds give me fits several yrs ago. The flappers were leaking slowly enough that dye would not show up in the bowl. The only way to prove they were leaking was to shut the water off like you did. My ultimate solution was new Korky flappers and to never buy a Sioux Chief again. If you don't have any external leaks, the water has to be going thru the bowl.

Old 01-17-18, 10:04 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Repeated the test. Tripled dye, the tank dropped 1/2 in in 4 hours. Absolutely no color change in the bowl.

Old 01-17-18, 01:59 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
How is the humidity in the room? If it's very dry it can evaporate. Any moisture on the floor or at the tank meets bowl? Turn off water, using a bucket flush the bowl. See if bowl has water in it several hours later.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: