Cracked Bathtub

Old 01-29-18, 11:36 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 6
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cracked Bathtub

Hello everyone!

The porcelain? (acrylic?) is cracking and chipping off of our clawfoot bathtub (see photos). I am not sure what has caused this. The damage is only found at the bottom of the tub. All of the repair kits that I can find online are very single scratches or chips.

Does anyone know of a bulk product that I can purchase to repair it?

Also, what's the best way to remove the broken areas and ensure it doesn't keep chipping away after the repair is done? So far I have used a putty trowel to scrape away the big parts but haven't tried using an electric sander/grinder yet to get everything.
Attached Images    
Old 01-29-18, 11:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA - N.E.Tn
Posts: 49,049
Received 599 Votes on 532 Posts
Looks like it was poorly prepped before being refinished allowing the new finish to peel. DIY tub reglazing jobs are iffy at best. I'd recommend contacting a tub reglazer and see what he says.
Old 01-29-18, 11:48 AM
Group Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 27,670
Received 1,459 Votes on 1,313 Posts
Do you know the history of the tub? Is it cast iron or fiberglass?

I assume your tub was resurfaced at some point. I think your only option is a professional resurfacing. There are DIY kits but I would really, really avoid going that route. For just a bit more you can have a professional resurface your tub and have something that will last longer. Resurfacing isn't as good as a factory baked on glaze but with care you could go 10 years with it looking pretty good.
Old 01-29-18, 12:06 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 6
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The tub was there when we moved in. It's fibreglass. I am leaning towards getting someone professional to come do it but I always like to see the feasibility of doing it myself and also to understand what goes into it to avoid getting scammed. Do you know the name of those repair kits?

Thanks to both of you for using the term glazing. I didn't realize that's what the process was called so up until now I wasn't able to search for local companies that do this work.
Old 01-29-18, 12:13 PM
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: WI/MN
Posts: 20,107
Received 1,033 Votes on 992 Posts
We do just about everything we can ourselves in our units. One of the few jobs we hire out is reglazing tubs and sinks. I would recommend not going the DIY route here, it just tends not to work out well.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title: