Bacteria and fungi/mold growth in pipleline?

Old 01-31-18, 03:01 PM
A
asi
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bacteria and fungi/mold growth in water pipeline?

I don't have any issue (not that I know off) with bacteria/fungi in the water inline or output. It is a general question.

If you keep water outside (problem with leaks) you get mold sooner or later. Is there a concern of getting mold inside water in-lines esp. the one connected to fridge water or ice makers (they are cold). In cold line esp. AC certain bacteria (e.g. Legoionella) do grow as they love cold environment.

If yes, are certain pipeline better than other like copper vs stainless steel with knick vs PEC vs poly urethene etc? Or do you have to clean or replace tubing in fridge/icemaker after certain time?

Last edited by asi; 01-31-18 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01-31-18, 03:13 PM
Received 319 Votes on 286 Posts
Municipal water is treated. So I'm assuming as long as my ice maker and drinking water lines are always full, it should be safe. However, if left unused for very long periods of time I suppose it may be affected. Also if for any reason air is introduced to the lines then that could promote bacterial growth. just my opinion. But I'm still here and I love my ice maker.

Old 01-31-18, 03:32 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 384 Votes on 340 Posts
I would think beside the water being treated, the fact that it routinely gets replaced with fresh water just further helps keeping the inside of the pipes clean. I don't have an ice maker so I don't know a lot about them but I'd think there would still be some water replacement in that supply.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: