Cannot Remove Sayco Diverter Valve

Old 02-08-18, 01:45 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Cannot Remove Sayco Diverter Valve

I have a diverter valve that will NOT come out. It's a Sayco 3-knob setup and after unscrewing it, it will not slide out!

The threads are no longer holding it in (I can tell); I have a vice grip on it and no matter how much I jiggle or pull or rotate, it will not come out. Does anyone have any ideas on what I could possibly do? Thank you.

Here's a link to a replacement; the original is probably from the 1970's:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Danco-Brass...Sayco/50219257

Old 02-13-18, 12:17 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I see a nut in the wall. You'll have to turn the stem nut to get it out. You'll need a deep socket.

Last edited by steve_gro; 02-13-18 at 12:27 AM. Reason: added a picture
Old 02-13-18, 02:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
There are plumber sockets for that. I got a set at Lowes several years ago.
Second row, second picture.
https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm=plumber+sockets

Old 02-13-18, 06:52 AM
T
OK, I think there is a lot of confusion here but thank you for helping. I have repaired 40-50 tub stems/cartridges, so I am very familiar with everything.

The stem is completely loose from me unscrewing the STEM NUT!
My plumber's socket unscrewed it completely (NOT the packing nut).
It's at the point where it should slide out AFTER UNSCREWING it, but it does not. Something is catching and not letting it out.
It is totally loose and can be jiggled - it is NO LONGER THREADED in. The threads are no longer touching each other.

I temporarily screwed it back in until I figure out what can be stopping it from sliding it out after unscrewing it. It almost HAS to be a piece of broken metal, but when I screw it back it, the diverter actually does its job. I just wanted to replace it because some water is leaking inside the wall and the packing is probably shot/bad, plus the size 00 O-ring at the tip badly needs replaced.

Has anyone run into this? What did you do? Thank you.

Old 02-13-18, 08:27 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Can you remove the packing nut and stem nut from the central valve stem? Unscrew them all the way and slide them off the end of the stem. You might have to pick out the packing with an ice pick or small screw driver but maybe if you get those two out of the way you can somehow wiggle and pull to get the stem out.

Old 02-13-18, 11:50 AM
T
I can probably get the packing screw and packing out, but my biggest concern is the size "00" O-ring at the tip that badly needs changed. Plus I really want to change the brass stem itself out too. I have 16 apartments and most have these Sayco tub 3-knob setups.

Pilot Dane, I'll try that, but I'm sure the hang-up is at the tip since it has been completely freed itself of the body threads, and the threads are AFTER the packing screw. It just seems impossible that the packing nut is related to it in any way ...but if you look at the photo, the main stem nut should slide off even with the long stem stuck in there. I'm sure removing the packing nut will allow it to slide right off (I have 5-6 new stems on hand so I know how these are put together). Maybe I'll see something after sliding the main stem nut off.

Old 02-17-18, 12:28 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Sorry, I saw the nut and thought you were new to this. One possible obstruction would be that the bib screw has fallen out and lodged somewhere that's holding up the stem. If you were to get a short piece of 1" copper pipe (or whatever fits around the valve) you could try running water and jiggling the stem at the same time. If there an escutcheon tube, that might also work to keep water out of the wall.

Old 01-07-24, 11:16 AM
T
Update: I never did get the stem out. I wanted it out because I was trying to find a leak in the wall, but I think I found it and it wasn't the diverter stem. The diverter stem was just a suspect at the time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: