shower arm issue

Old 02-25-18, 11:31 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
shower arm issue

[F Have a shower arm that is leaking at the fitting, took it out, found a rubber washer on the end of the arm that goes in the fitting (never saw that before). I put Teflon tape on the elbow with some Teflon paste and carefully screwed the elbow back in but.......cannot turn it far enough so the arm comes out straight...it remains loose which I am sure would be a problem as people adjust the head. Do not know if thee is a specific angle you have to start the arm so it will wind up tight in the right position.....know if I force it the fitting will crack. What am I doing wrong, not sure if that washer has a purpose, never saw that before but when you look into the fitting there is a stop that it would seat against. Any suggestions? Always great people in the forum

Old 02-25-18, 11:41 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
The washer usually goes on the end with the shower head on it. You are saying that there is a washer inside the wall at the end of the shower arm? It shouldn't be needed if that is the case. Most female threaded elbows in the wall are made of brass. Doubt you could break one of those. I use teflon tape with paste on top and thread it into the wall. I then stick the handle of a set of channel locks into the other end of the shower arm to give me leverage to get it tight as possible and straight as possible. I use teflon tape only on the end tat receives the shower head as the washer is what makes the seal.

Old 02-25-18, 11:50 AM
D
shower arm

Your correct, I have never seen a washer on the other end. Fitting used was a pvc, that is why I do not want to force it. I just took a straight nipple and threaded it into the fitting, turned water on and it is fine. So, unless I can get a shower arm that will go in far enough to seat like a straight nipple...which I doubt due to the bent arm, I am lost. I may try putting another washer in the fitting against the stop and see if it gives me room to tighten the arm enough so it will be in the right position and arm will be secure from turning........what an adventure, maybe that is why that washer was put in there in the first place.......but, never have ever seen that.

Old 02-25-18, 01:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
There is a PVC fitting in the wall that you are screwing into ?
There should be no gaskets in there and putting any in will seal nothing.
That should be an NPT fitting that is tapered and seals as it tightens.

Old 02-25-18, 01:20 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Most likely cpvc, but I honestly have no experience working with it.

Old 02-25-18, 01:27 PM
D
You are right Pete, fitting is a pvc fipxsocket (glues onto the pipe) I have tried all ways to get the arm in so the end points down and best I can do is 3:00, anything more than that I probably will split the fip end of the fitting. So put a chrome nipple in and a head that adjust enough to point down to a 45 degree angle. Soooooo frustrating, do not know what the cp elbow won't face down so it is tight. Something is screwed up got nipple and head to work, enough......thanks for all your help, everyone that responded.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: