Bathroom Reno - sink has no under-sink shut off valves.

Old 03-08-18, 04:59 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bathroom Reno - sink has no under-sink shut off valves.

Doing renovations on a small 2 piece bathroom, I was about to remove the vanity when I realized there arents any under-sink shut off valves. At this point I’d have to shut the water off to the house to remove the vanity, paint and install a new vanity and faucet. But I don’t want to keep the water off to the house for 1-2 days. Is there anything I can do? Something temporary so I can do the renos without impacting the whole house. Also am I able to add the valves myself when I put in the new vanity so I don’t run into this again? Thanks for your help! FYI the pipes look to be copper.

Old 03-08-18, 05:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
If the pipes are copper, buy a tubing cutter, shut the water off, cut the pipes, remove the vanity. Then put 2 compression shutoffs on. Be sure the shutoff are turned off, then turn your water back on and check for leaks.

Old 03-09-18, 04:48 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Installing the vanity over shut off valves will require a larger cut out in the back of the cabinet. It's not the end of the world and is what I do most often. Or, you can simply install caps over the exposed pipes which will allow smaller holes in the back of the cabinet but you'll have to turn the water off again to remove the caps and install shutoffs and hook up the faucet near the end of your project.

Old 03-09-18, 04:54 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
When the time comes to install the vanity you can usually just shut the water off, unscrew the compression shutoff, cut the holes in the vanity, install the vanity and then reinstall the shutoffs. The compression ring will be too tight to cone off so you might need to cut the copper again and use new compression rings.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: