Weird toilet flange question

Old 03-13-18, 11:57 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Weird toilet flange question

Hi all, replacing the floor in the basement and I encountered this interesting set up which I've never seen before (pic below). It seems to be lead wrapped around a copper ring. The closet bolts were sort of jimmied between the lead and the ring (one had popped out over time it seems as it spun freely when I tried to unscrew the nut).

I will be installing ditra and then porcelain over it and had planned on just using a flange extender but I've never come across this particular set up and am now uncertain if that will work.
Can anyone more knowledgable recommend how to proceed in this case? I can't even see how the flange is attached to the subfloor. As far as I can tell, it's just the weight of the pipe holding it down.
Thanks.

Attached Images  
Old 03-13-18, 12:45 PM
M
Received 27 Upvotes on 21 Posts
Old 03-13-18, 12:50 PM
C
how would you attach that to the existing structure? Keeping in mind that the new floor will be higher than existing.

Old 03-13-18, 01:31 PM
M
Ditra plus the tile will be less than an inch. You screw the metal flange to the subfloor, tile around it, then use and extended ring and longer bolts. This is another option if the full size one doesn't work: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Inc-PSF-1...&wl13=&veh=sem

Old 03-13-18, 04:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
The problem is you need a good floor to screw the flange in to. In the following video is a replacement fitting you could use there but you'd need to replace the flooring around the lead pipe.

you tube/watch?v=YK4XqmrBIJc

Old 03-14-18, 06:48 AM
M
As stated, there needs to be stable subfloor to screw into. The subfloor doesn't look to be in too bad of shape to me. Hopefully the full size metal ring will work for you. I would think you'd be able to get a few screws into some solid floor. Only one way to find out.

Attached Images  
Old 03-14-18, 10:23 AM
C
Ok, follow up question, I went to the local HD here to get that flange and the guy here suggested (given the description) that I needed to extend the pipe up a bit prior to using the flange.
Now the existing installation is lead and the extension he recommended is also lead. He said that it was just a friction fit. That I needed to clean up the pipe, remove the existing flange, shove the extension in and hammer it down till it seated snug. Then cut to size, screw in brass flange and bend lead over the lip.
This seems off to me so thought I'd check with you guys for consensus and to ask if using a pvc (rather than lead and brass - they didn't sell the stainless one) would be better or not. The pvc on offer has a rubber gasket. You twist the flange and as it screws in, it expands the rubber into the pipe till it's sealed.
Thanks again.

Old 03-20-18, 11:10 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I've always used brass flanges with lead closet bends. But the son of the plumber that put in the lead bend is an old man by now. I would examine the lead very carefully -- this may be the time to replace it. It'll be especially prone to failure where it folds over the flange. If it's been folded too many times it may give up the ghost.

Old 03-25-18, 11:26 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
On second thought, you should probably open the floor and replace the lead closet bend. You're getting a new floor anyway, so now is the time to address it.

Old 03-26-18, 04:56 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
So is everything pictured cured molten lead or is it left over wax ring that has not been cleaned yet? If the flange will be higher than the previous floor then just use what you have, the wax will form and seal.

Bigger question is about the tile. What are your plans, how thick is the subfloor, what was there prior that you removed?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: