Can you make a drain flange height adjustable?

Old 03-16-18, 07:44 AM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Can you make a drain flange height adjustable?

I am installing a curbless shower over concrete. I have already attempted to cut the drain pipe to the proper height to acquire a 1/4" per foot slope and failed. apparently, for some reason, I have a very hard time measuring and accounting for how much pipe slides into the other pipe or I'm just horribly bad at math.

Either way, Can you make a drain flange height adjustable kind of like how the drain grate is often adjustable and still have it to code?

Old 03-19-18, 09:11 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Frank Pattern (since acquired by LSP) used to make an 'instaset' shower drain. You could, in theory, have the drain piping too high, then cut with internal cutters. Or, install the drain, make a mark, remove the drain, cut the pipe, then set the drain permanently.

https://www.lspproducts.com/product/...embrane-clamp/

Old 03-20-18, 05:31 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Many shower drains intended for traditional mortar bed & tile have the final grate height adjustable. The flange on the bottom is not adjustable but you glue your liner to it and then install your mortar bed. Then you screw in the top piece that holds the grate and you set it's height by how far you screw it in.

Old 03-20-18, 02:10 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Kinda why I mentioned the instaset. It is adjustable as the connection to the piping is compression -- slide it on and tighten it. The drain can poke out the top -- you can mark it and cut it off. Looks like this and is available with an adjustable top (round or square) or at least it was at one time.

But when you think about it, you can run the drain high, dry-fit any drain fitting, measure, and then cut.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: