Installing a faucet side sprayer

Old 04-04-18, 08:50 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing a faucet side sprayer

I have an old American Standard kitchen faucet and am trying to install a universal side sprayer. The side sprayer fits in an existing 1/4" pipe connection. Apparently my existing connection is too small for that (attached pic of extg connection). I went to several hardware stores and could not find the right fitting/adapter size - 1/8" is too small, and (regardless) none of them had a 1/4"mip to 1/8" fip fitting. I bought one online just to try it out and yep - 1/8" is too small.

Any idea what size this existing faucet connection can be if 1/4" is too big and 1/8" is too small? Is there anything I can do to make this work? The guys at the hardware stores all said to just get a new faucet, but wanted I to see if I had any other options before I do that.
Thanks!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-18, 09:05 AM
Received 234 Votes on 209 Posts
That may not be standard pipe thread. Try a machine thread.

How old is the faucet? Did you try to go online and look for a instruction/parts manual? Do you have a model number?

Old 04-05-18, 07:55 PM
L
Thank you for your response.
I have no idea how old the faucet is - it was already installed when we bought the house a few months back. I don't have a model number or anything - is there a way to find that information relatively easily? I've attached a picture of the faucet. If I disassemble it, would I find a serial number on the bottom or anything?

Attached Images  
Old 04-06-18, 03:05 AM
Received 234 Votes on 209 Posts
If I disassemble it, would I find a serial number on the bottom or anything?
No not likely. The brand name is usually stamped on the edge of the bezel that covers the holes. Looks like a Peerless to me. Use mirror to see the back side.

Old 04-06-18, 07:53 AM
L
It is an American Standard Faucet - the logo is on the round piece that the handle is attached to - hard to see in the pic attached, but the words American Standard are in black in the center of the white-ish circle at the base of the handle. With no model number, I may not be able to figure this out tho.
When you say "try a machine thread" - I thought machine thread only applies to screws. Would a general hardware store have machine thread sizing for pipe fittings? Or is that something I would have to find online?
Thank you!