Kitchen sink mystery with video

Old 04-26-18, 08:07 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kitchen sink mystery with video

We had our kitchen sink backed up last week and the plumber came out and fixed the backup.

Things are running fine but when I run the washing machine from the garage, when the washing machine does the first drain, there is a 5-6 second bubbling/rattling sound.

Things seem to be working fine but I dont know why the washing machine is affecting the sink. I think they probably share the same drain but why would fixing the sink backup affect the washing machine drain? Just don't want to have problems later on w/ the sink again.

I will call the plumber later today but thought I'd ask here as well.

Old 04-26-18, 08:36 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
It's a little hard to diagnose a problem that we cant see. We would have to know more about the way both those drains are configured and vented. (Or not vented)

If I was going to guess, I would say that the washer is not vented properly and it needs it's own vent.

Old 04-26-18, 08:42 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Is there any water backing up into the sink when the washer drains? In addition to the venting XSleeper mentioned t's possible that the plumber only partially cleared the clog or pushed it further down the line. The rapid surge of water from the washer might not be able to drain away fast enough causing the gurgling in the kitchen.

Old 04-26-18, 10:23 AM
N
No there is no water backing up.

It only happens when I use the washer for the first time in the day or a couple of days.

When the washer does the first drain cycle I hear it. The 2nd drain in the washer cycle It doesnt happen.

And say I put in a 2nd or 3rd load the same day, it does not happen.

I called the plumber and he said to keep an eye on it. He said he thinks that the washer pipe is probably older and do medium and small loads which doesnt make much sense. I got a big family so large loads I will continue to do.

Its an older house so i'm not sure how the vents are setup. He did snake out the line when he cleaned out the backup but not sure if he went the other way down the washer direction.

Old 04-27-18, 06:13 PM
N
Update :

So after work today i went into the garage to get something and it had a faint smell of sewer odor from the washing machine.

My neighbor was home all day and told me there were doing some sanitation work down the street.

Now I don't know if it's related to that or something wrong w/ the washing machine. I'll monitor it tomorrow morning and see if the smelll is still there.

I smelled the washing machine tub and the smell was funky. Maybe not sewer odor but a bad odor.

Old 04-27-18, 06:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
As long as the standpipe is above the washer.... there shouldn't be any water draining into the machine. Sometimes the washers get that funky smell. Mine does it too. I use Affresh for clothes washers which does a great jog of cleaning the tub and reducing/eliminating the smells from occurring.

Old 04-27-18, 06:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Occasionally sewer work will force sewer gas back up the main line where it can percolate stinky trap water or cause minor floor drain flooding. It's not unheard of.

Old 04-30-18, 10:17 AM
N
latest update.

I washed 3-4 large loads over the weekend and the bubbling under the kitchen sink did not occur. Also no sewer smell.

Maybe the bubbling sound was air trapped after the plumber cleared the line that got out?

Hope it's ok now.

Old 05-14-18, 09:24 PM
N
well after some weeks of being fine it made that popping noise tonight. maybe it's air getting trapped. seems to be working fine though ?

washed about 3 loads of luandry and when the luandry machine drained it's when the noise occured.

still a mystery.

Last edited by norcalneil; 05-14-18 at 11:03 PM.
Old 05-14-18, 11:24 PM
N
Ok I think mystery solved.

Talked with a neighbor and he has the same problem for the last 20 years.

Here is what he thinks is happening :

The washing machine and kitchen sink use the same line. Yes

He thinks there is air trapped when the washing machine is draining. Either I have a clog in the air vent on the roof or something is blocking the line.

I just had the line cleared out like 4 weeks ago by a plumber. That noise started right after that. But 4 weeks it was fine until tonight.

Question : what will happen in the long run if i leave it be? The neighbor said it should be fine just clean out the line every couple of years. Other than the popping noise is there any plumbing issues that may happen?

Old 06-16-18, 07:53 PM
N
Video Proof of 'Mystery' - need help id'ing

I posted on another topic and I thought I figured it out but now I recorded the incident.

Background :

1.Kitchen sink had backed up. Plumber came out and cleared the line.

2.2-3 weeks later, did laundry and when laundry machine drained, popping sound comes from the kitchen sink. No smell, no water, just popping sound.

3.Popping sound doesn't happen all the time.

I was finally able to get video of it now. I tried to post it here but i guess you can't post movies or i dont know how. I uploaded here instead :

https://streamable.com/i2kgj

What do you think? Air is causing the popping noise? And how come it is occurring after the sink was cleared? Never had a problem before the sink line was cleared. And why does it happen sometimes.

Old 06-16-18, 09:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Sane topic...... threads combined.

We don't need proof of your problem. You need a new plumber.

Old 06-16-18, 09:35 PM
N
so you think the plumber messed up? what should have been done?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: