Delta single handle shower control

Old 04-28-18, 06:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Delta single handle shower control

The control in question has been in use for more than 25 years. It is the type which uses a stainless steel ball with a rhombus shaped stem.

Recently while adjusting the water temperature something went wrong and the water pressure was greatly diminished. Also it began to drip constantly.

I watched a you tube video and felt competent to make the repair. It was very similar to my old kitchen faucet.

I had a look at the control with the knob removed and bought some parts, those being the aforementioned ball, seats, springs and a cam. Also some plumber's grease. The parts were for Delta but not made by Delta. To appearances, they matched the ones I was replacing.

After making the repair there was a little bit of dribble at control and I tightened the inner ring on the dome a bit further. That corrected the problem.

The handle now moves smoothly. It doesn't bind or tend to close. It doesn't drip at the shower head when completely shut. But at the wide open position the pressure is less than it was before when it was working properly.

I am wondering if I did something wrong or if it has something to do with the Brand-X parts I used.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-18, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
More likely you have a problem upstream of the mixing valve. Since the dripping is solved and the handle moves smoothly, I don't think it was an issue with parts. I've used the generic multiple times and as long as I did my part using the correct seats and springs (there are 2 styles I know of), never had an issue.

Do you have individual cut-offs for the shower or do you have to shut down the whole house? Did you flush the lines after removing the old but before installing the new? Is there a decrease in flow elsewhere in the house like the nearest sink?

Old 04-28-18, 07:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,112 Votes on 1,032 Posts
I have the same Delta shower valve. Very reliable. I only use the actual Delta cup washers because I've found that the generic replacements can leak.

Your problem sounds like a clogged shower head. It may have a screen that is clogged or you may have to remove it and soak it in white vinegar for several hours.

Old 04-28-18, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator
Ahhh duh! Yeah, the showerhead! Bet if you take it off you'll likely have plenty of volume.

Last edited by Gunguy45; 04-29-18 at 12:23 AM.
Old 04-29-18, 06:41 AM
I had to shut off the whole house. I did not flush the lines. I notice no decrease in flow at the sink just a few feet from the shower.

The pressure in the shower is adequate. I hope I didn't give the impression that it is not. But when the valve is wide open it's just not what it was before the marked drop in pressure which caused me to replace the parts. And those parts really needed replacement.

It is not a clogged shower head. I replaced the shower head several weeks ago due to a different problem. It's a hand-held and the hose was leaking. The old shower head did have a lot of mineral deposits so I replaced both items. But it had good pressure at full blast. The replacement shower head also had good pressure. But now, not quite so much.

Old 04-29-18, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator
You'd be surprised. Shower heads and faucet aerators use a small plastic disc with a few very small holes to limit flow. (Some have a serrated tooth type pattern around the outside edge.) I needed an aerator for my kitchen, but all they had in a matching finish was the lowest flow model they make...it really took forever to fill a large pot. And my water pressure averages about 65 lbs.

Upon looking at it, the flow reducer had just 3 tiny (and I mean tiny...like mechanical pencil lead tiny) holes in it...simply opening those holes up with a drill bit 2 sizes larger allowed flow that was probably twice as strong. Now, imagine if a tiny bit of rubber from a washer or seal had gotten in and blocked one of the original holes.

Same could have happened with your shower head, esp since you said it happened while adjusting temps. If it's noticeable and annoying enough that you posted the problem here, I would think you'd want to correct it if it's a simple fix.

Old 04-29-18, 04:22 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Remove the shower head completely and test water flow. If flow is weak out of the shower arm itself with no head attached then we need to investigate further. If flow is fine out of the shower arm, then we can assume it is the head or handheld that is the issue.

Old 04-29-18, 05:54 PM
Same could have happened with your shower head

Remove the shower head completely and test water flow.

Good point and good suggestion. I will look into this.

Old 05-05-18, 06:59 AM
Been meaning to follow up on this.

I removed the shower head and noticed a distinct difference in pressure at fully open. I didn't really fool with the shower head itself but one of the old seats was pretty crumbly so maybe a bit of it was restricting the flow. If so, it must have become dislodged.

Upon installing the head the pressure seems back to what I expected.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 05-05-18, 09:41 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,112 Votes on 1,032 Posts
Thanks for letting us know what you found.