Unclog Weep Holes without tearing out the floor

Old 05-22-18, 04:19 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile Unclog Weep Holes without tearing out the floor

My 50 year old house recently began 'leaking' through the tile floor in the walk-in shower. More than one repairman said I would have to tear out the floor up 6" on the walls and install a new pan. Not only would that be expensive, but I have old tile colors in there that I know cannot be matched. We originally had very hard water and raised 4 kids so the shower got a lot of use. I am sure this was the cause of the gunk in the weep holes.

Here us what I did!!! I put an old towel on the floor where the wettest spot was. Every morning I would pour enough Rid-X on the towel to saturate it. I did this for three weeks. Because Rid-X and other products are enzymes, they 'eat' the gunk. My reasoning was that if the water could come 'UP' through the floor the Rid-X could soak down the same way. This brainstorm was a result of using enzymes to clean a septic tank drain field a few years ago. I figured if it could clean a field drain, it could surely clean some weep holes.

My shower floor has been dry for about 3 weeks now. I was out about $60 for the Rid-X.

Hope this helps someone!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: