House built in 1970 - Lost on toilet install

Old 05-27-18, 01:27 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
House built in 1970 - Lost on toilet install

Hi. Definitely NOT a plumber. Not even super handy. But I figured I could do a toilet install. Unfortunately, pulled up old toilet (which was gross because there were a few roaches, which I killed all of) and the pipe (cast iron?) that has the flange -- liked welded or something on -- seems incredibly irregular to me. The thing isn't totally round. It is on one side but on the other (the left side), the part the bolt goes through is kinda sticking out on a little peninusula that is inside the rest of the circular hole. So if I put a rubber seal (which I was going to use instead of a wax ring), there will be a gap to the left of it. I wish I'd taken a pic but I put the old toilet back down because I'm convinced I'll need a plumber ... and I taped around the base to seal it closed for time being. So I drew a picture. Red part would be where the seal goes. Grey part is where the gap is. I may have exaggerated the gap some.

You certainly can't have a gap, right? If the pipe clogged, wouldn't you end up with water all of the place as it would just come up out the gamp. Maybe that's not how it works. I don't know. But it might be why there appears to be maybe some damage to the concrete subfloor. I don't know.

HELP!

Name:  Horrible old toilet pipe.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  17.4 KB

Old 05-27-18, 04:44 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,327 Upvotes on 2,069 Posts
A photo might be more helpful than your drawing. Here are instructions on posting a photo.

It is hard to say without seeing what you have. I suspect you have a rusted or damaged drain pipe and/or toilet flange.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: