How do I change a plastic toilet water supply line?

Old 06-06-18, 05:41 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How do I change a plastic toilet water supply line?

I知 looking for some diy help on changing a toilet water supply line. The line is not hooked up to a shut off valve at the source, it just goes into the wall and is shut off at a panel in the bedroom. All the videos I致e seen online just show how to change the lines that are screwed off at the valve and replaced. Since mine has no valve to screw off of I知 assumimg I have to cut the line and attach a new connector. All the videos I致e seen about installing water valve shut-offs show a copper pipe at the wall. Mine is just the rubber pipe. Just not sure the steps. The washer corroded and is leaking water.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-18, 06:10 PM
J
Received 77 Votes on 72 Posts
Post a picture so we can see what your seeing. " rubber hose" not likely.
Far more likely it's some form of plastic.
A location in your profile may help explain the strange connections.
In the US there would have been a stub out at the wall to connect a shut off to in most cases.

Old 06-06-18, 06:23 PM
A
If I knew what it was called I probably would have enough knowledge about the topic to know how to fix it. I知 looking at the hardware store now and it seems to be some type of pex? Still not sure. Will send photo. I知 in Hawai段. Not a foreign country. We池e still a state. Amazes me no one can answer what seems like a fairly simple question. I値l post pics.

Old 06-06-18, 06:45 PM
A
https://drive.google.com/open?id=160a3GJp43x4IYtfQs4maaTwv6Nv5LjFI

Last edited by argoisin; 06-06-18 at 07:17 PM.
Old 06-07-18, 01:57 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Depending on the pipe you can, cut the pipe, get a compression or (easier) Sharkbite style push on cutoff valve and use regular supply lines.

Rubber is not used as pipes in homes. Several types of plastic are though. Washers, being made of rubber, don't corrode, though they can degrade if the water is bad. If it's just a washer issue...why not just replace that? If the pipe is going all the way to the toilet from the wall, why would you say you want to change the supply line?

Hey, since you're in HI, I have a boat that has this weird thing sticking out of the side. Can't see what it's connected to and I've never seen it on another boat...think you can help?

Not so easy is it? You've never seen my boat or heard of a thing sticking out of the side. I didn't really give a good description and what I did say wouldn't make a lot of sense to someone that owns a boat.

We're here to help. You came here asking for help. Do you not answer followup questions when your doctor or mechanic asks them? That's the way things get resolved the quickest and easiest. We can't see what you see and none of us (to my knowledge) have lived in HI for any length of time, therefore we aren't familiar with what may be common building practice over there. We also get questions from Pakistan, South America, Australia, etc (thus the location question)...sometimes we can give advice, sometimes not.

Old 06-07-18, 02:09 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Duh...started the reply and just came back...after the pics showed up.

You have polybutylene pipe it appears, based on the grey color and copper ring. I don't know if the options I suggested for valves are suitable for PB pipe. The home must have been built before mid 90's? You really want to disturb it as little as possible. I would explore replacing JUST the washer first, then look at other options if that isn't feasible.

Polybutylene Plumbing - What is Polybutylene?

Addl...... They do make Sharkbite fittings for PB, but might have to be special ordered. If it's prevalent in your area, you MAY find someone who stocks them or regular compression. You might also be able to cut the copper part of that clamped on bend and use common parts. Take your pics with you to a real hardware or plumbing supply store.

Old 06-11-18, 12:34 AM
A
Thanks. I posted on reddit and got an answer right away. I ended up using the Sharkbite adapter and it worked perfectly. Thanks for your reply I appreciate the help.