Toilet wont flush, but i dont suspect a clog.

Old 07-04-18, 08:05 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toilet wont flush, but i dont suspect a clog.

Hello,

I have been having problems with my toilet for 6 months now. When i flush it...the water in the toilet doesn't get any higher or lower. It just sits and spins and wont go down. The only way i can actually flush the toilet is if i use a cup of water and dump it directly into the bowl...then the waste/water will go down.

Any idea of the problem and a possible fix?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-18, 03:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Look in the tank and see how much water is in there. Usually a line someplace in tank that tell you how much water should be in there. If no line tank should be about 3/4 full.

Old 07-05-18, 05:48 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 673 Votes on 622 Posts
In order for a toilet to flush it must get the water from the tank in one big, strong surge. If the water goes from tank to bowl too slowly you just get swirling water and no actual flushing action.

As a test you can remove the toilet and take it outside. Set it up on a couple bricks so the outlet on the bottom is not blocked. FIll the tank to the normal level and depress the flush lever. If the toilet flushes fine then you probably have some obstruction in the house drain line. Maybe it was as simple as the wax ring out of place. If you don't get a flushing action then there is something wrong in the toilet itself.

Do you use those deoderizers that clip inside the tank or the type you drop into the tank? If so I have seen chuncks of them get sucked down into the bowl where the get trapped in the internal passages. You can try removing the tank from the bowl and see if there is any obstruction. You can also poke into the holes under the bowl's rim with a wire to make sure they are all clear. Often though you end up having to replace the toilet.

Old 07-06-18, 04:54 PM
W
Received 12 Votes on 10 Posts
Hello,
There are a couple of reasons for the problem you are having.
Pour a bucket of water into the toilet bowl. Does it flush? If no plunge it or get a bowl auger to clear it. If it flushes the problem may be a lime build up in the bowl. Clear all the holes under the rim and the jet in the bottom of the toilet bowl. You can use a wire or small screw driver.
I use muratic acid because it can get where a wire can’t. I use about a quart and pour it into the overflow tube in the tank I let it set for about a half hour then flush.
Muratic acid is used in swimming pools to balance the PH.
I use to get it at Home Depot but thiers is weak. Last time I bought it, I got it at Ace Hardware the muriatic acid 31% hydrogen chloride,
r

Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 07-11-18, 03:35 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'm thinking of giving the Muratic Acid a shot. Is it safe to use indoors? I've looked it up online and all of the warning labels on the bottle seem to indicate that it can be harmful for indoor use.

Old 07-11-18, 06:13 PM
W
Received 12 Votes on 10 Posts
Hi,
I have done a lot of toilets like that but if you have a breathing problem probably not a good idea. I pour the acid down the over flow and close the door as I leave the bathroom.
Woodbutcher

Old 07-12-18, 06:11 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 673 Votes on 622 Posts
You have not responded to any of the questions that have been posted. Without knowing what you have done or the test results we can't help.

Muriatic (hydrochloric) acid straight from the bottle is strong enough to "smoke" just with contact with the air. When working with it I wear a cartridge respirator with cartridges rated for acid vapors.