Bathtub resurfacing/re-enamelling

Old 07-09-18, 11:40 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathtub resurfacing/re-enamelling

I am not sure I am using the correct terms, I have a old bathtub that needs re-enamelling, is this a recommended procedure? I have people who think this is not a good solution but this is based from experiences dating back from 30 years ago, is it considered a good solution now? Note that I would hire a professional to do this.

Old 07-09-18, 11:43 AM
A
i try to attach some pictures here

Attached Images   
Old 07-09-18, 12:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,343 Votes on 1,241 Posts
Wow.... looks just like my parents bathroom from 1959. Same pink American Standard tube. Same fixtures too. Only difference is the wallcovering. Their tube could use a re-surfacing too but has not been done yet.

Old 07-09-18, 01:14 PM
A
the picture quality is not very good, it is actually white and from the 1970s. Maybe this picture is better (the side still looks pinkish but it looks whiter near the drain).

Attached Images  
Old 07-09-18, 01:18 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 751 Votes on 690 Posts
I think an important thing to remember is that nothing is as good as a factory glaze that's baked on. Re-glazing looks great when new. How long it lasts and looks great depends on how you care for it. Basically re-glazing is paint. Fancy paint but it's still paint. It's subject to getting scratched and abrasive cleaners are a no-no.

Re-glazing is something I consider somewhat temporary or short term. It's a good option if you're flipping a house and want it to look good but don't care so much for longevity. Re-glazing is also a good option if you are planning a total re-model of the bath in a few years but just want to spruce things up in the mean time.

Old 07-09-18, 01:25 PM
A
Thank you for your input. It will probably be like you say, I will remodel the whole bathroom in a few years but I wanted information for a good short term solution for now.

Old 07-09-18, 05:47 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Having a professional reglazer do the job is my recommendation. I have done close to 4 dozen tubs and they have all held up beautifully. Please steer clear of the DIY paint on kits. Unless you are proficient at removing 100% of soap scum and other things, the DIY kits have a poor record. My tub reglazer first cleans the tub, then acid etches it to ensure adhesion, sprays on a primer coat and them a top coat. The tubs look brand new when he is done. Substantially less than a complete bathroom tear out and redo.

Old 07-10-18, 08:00 AM
A
thank you for your answer czizzi, I would definitely not try to do this myself with a DIY kit since I have no experience

Old 07-10-18, 09:30 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 751 Votes on 690 Posts
As Czizzi mentioned most of the job is the preparation. Something most DIY'ers skimp on. Professionals also may use products that are less DIY friendly so you'll see them wearing a disposable Tyvec suit, cartridge respirator and rubber gloves. Spraying a tub sounds like a quick job but don't be surprised if they are there for several hours.

Old 07-11-18, 05:19 AM
Received 291 Votes on 261 Posts
Another option is Bathfitters. They will put a cover over existing tub. However, I've seen mixed reviews, from very bad to very good.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: