Symmons Temptrol question...

Old 07-11-18, 07:13 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Symmons Temptrol question...

I've had many plumbers recommend the Symmons Temptrol mixing valve over the years, so I had one installed in a guest bath at my summer home in the summer of 2014. That shower does not get a lot of use, and after complaints of bad hot water flow, my plumber replaced a bad TA10 spindle last summer. The problem has returned this summer, and yesterday my plumber said he replaced the cartridge which was stuck on the cold side (I'm not sure if that's the same as the TA10 spindle). When I reminded him that we addressed this issue just a year ago he said these valves need to be used or they stick. Is that accurate in your experience? I'm at the house at least once a week; would it be advisable for me to run that shower for a few minutes each week?

Old 07-11-18, 08:57 AM
V
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I've had three of those Symmons Temptrol Valves in different settings . . . . and I think it depends on how hard your water is. With soft (fairly mineral free) water, I've gone nearly 15 years without any issues; but with hard water, they've needed to be futzed with (soaked in vinegar?) every 2 or 3 years to remove the mineral buildup.

How hard is your water ?

Old 07-11-18, 01:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
not hard at all; well water. no issues other faucets or washing machine, dishwasher, etc.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: