When did they change toilet tank bolt patterns?

Old 07-12-18, 06:50 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
When did they change toilet tank bolt patterns?

I have to replace a cracked toilet tank. 'Ordered one online from a well known building supply chain.

When I opened the box, I discovered two mounting bolt holes. My toidy - and all the ones I've ever seen - have three bolt holes. I double checked the description on the website. It never mentions the number of holes.

What am I missing? And how do I prevent this from happening again?

Old 07-12-18, 08:46 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 743 Votes on 684 Posts
I've only seen three bolts on really, really old toilets. Every new toilet I've installed in the past 30 years has had two bolts. If your toilet is old I would replace the entire thing. All modern tanks are water saving and may not provide a good flush with an old bowl.

Also, if ordering just a tank you need to make sure you get the correct tank for your bowl. There is no standard so the tank from one model may not fit on a different model bowl.

Old 07-13-18, 01:00 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I think some Kohler toilets have 3-bolts tanks. A generic tank will only work on a generic toilet (sometimes).

Old 07-13-18, 04:59 AM
Received 287 Votes on 257 Posts
I avoid those toilets that use only two bolt tank to bowl. Often just can't get them to seal. Never had a problem with the three bolt pattern.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: