air in the lines

Old 07-21-18, 07:29 AM
H
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
air in the lines

something weird started here lately. Last week, my granddaughter turned on the sound of air from the upstairs bath tub surprised her and she told us what had happened. two days later I flushed the toilet in that bathroom and and heard air in the toilet bowl during the flush. Today, opening the tub valve again I heard the gush of air, as did my granddaughter. This is a second floor bathroom with two separate water lines that go upstairs to do a.) the sink and lab.... b.) the shower. I have a well with a boiler mate pressure tank (30-55psi). Any ideas what might be causing air to the two separate line to do this? The upstairs bath is an occasional use bathroom, whereas the downstairs likely is used where it never gets the chance to build up any air....

Old 07-21-18, 09:09 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Upvotes on 631 Posts
Has the power been off where you'd be out of water for a bit?

Old 07-21-18, 07:16 PM
H
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Power outage

No outage here. even if it did, the Boilermate should have kept positive pressure in the lines... I would understand if I had changed the water filter recently, but I hadn't.

Old 07-23-18, 05:47 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 245 Upvotes on 225 Posts
Did you at some time have so many persons using water that the pressure dropped noticeably? The well may have run dry for a moment in which case the pump would suck air. This air has to work its way through the system and come out one faucet or another.

Or maybe the pressure tank bladder ruptured allowing some of the air inside to escape down into the water system. If you notice much more frequent shorter pump cycles now then the pressure tank needs to be checked and repressurized (manually). A ruptured bladder cannot be repaired and necessitates replacement of the pressure tank.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: