How to Fix a Creaking Acrylic Tub?

Old 08-16-18, 09:48 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to Fix a Creaking Acrylic Tub?

I've got an acrylic tub that creaks when being used. It obviously wasn't installed properly (ie: on a mortar bed), but I don't have any access to underneath it except for a small seam along the front side. Short of demoing out the walls and reinstalling everything, the research I've done so far makes it look like my only solution is to use some low expansion foam spray to create a quasi bed to minimize the movement when using it and to also help reduce/minimize the creaks due to the foam taking up the space underneath and muffling the sound.

Are there any other options aside from spray foam that I'm not aware of?

If spray foam is the way to go, does anyone have any recommendations on which one to use?

I was thinking of using either this kit: https://sprayfoamkit.com/products/sp...ch-repair-kit/

Or a few cans of this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Loctite-...5981/206310510

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-18, 04:47 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 632 Votes on 584 Posts
I would use an expanding foam since you need it to expand to fill the space underneath the tub. For that reason I would go with the two part system even though it's more expensive. You might want to get a piece of tubing that can fit on the end of the wand to extend your reach. Slide the tube under the tub and start dispensing from the back and work your way forward.

Old 08-17-18, 07:51 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Does the foam's density matter in regards to helping stop the squeaking? Sounds like a higher density foam might give the tub a bit more support, but I'm not really that knowledgeable when it comes to expanding foams...

Old 08-17-18, 02:27 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 632 Votes on 584 Posts
I would go for a higher density foam. You want the foam as solid/hard as you can get. Your trying to duplicate the rigid support of mortar.

Old 08-17-18, 05:02 PM
V
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
In my short life's experience, I've only done this twice or three times and always been lucky enough to have thrown a couple shovels full of concrete under the base before finally setting the shower or tub.

What I do know is every one of them has a pattern of support ribs underneath (often arranged like the rays of the sun in the rising sun flag) which could block your expanding foam unless you take that pattern into account.

I would try to take a look at the underside of am identical tub at a store or plumbing supply outlet before taking any action, and see if that sheds some light on how best to maximize the flow and benefit of my foam into those multiple cavities.

Can you consider drilling a few Ĺ" holes in the supporting floor to facilitate your injecting your foam from below ?

Old 08-18-18, 04:11 AM
Received 372 Votes on 347 Posts
I;m going to say the foam is not going to work, it simply is not dense enough to support the movement of the tub when weight is applied, it will eventually give and the movement/noise will be back.

You will then have the same problem but now have a big mess of foam to clean out.

You could open up a section of the sub floor under the tub to gain access and hand pack mortar in there or simply live with the noise!

Last edited by Marq1; 08-18-18 at 06:47 AM.
Old 08-18-18, 05:33 AM
Group Moderator
Received 209 Votes on 185 Posts
If you use foam, make sure you fill the tub with water or the foam will push it up.