Bathtub Problem

Old 08-29-18, 02:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathtub Problem

Hello all,

Well my dumb A$$ tried to get away cheap and now I have what looks to be a puncture in my tub. The guy I hired did a great job with the tile accept he was using his step stool in the tub and managed to put what looks like a puncture in the tub.

If anyone has any suggestion on how to fix this I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you
Bob

Attached Images  
Old 08-29-18, 04:36 PM
Received 319 Votes on 286 Posts
Call him and tell him you want restitution or sue him!

Old 08-29-18, 04:38 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Agreed - someone you hired did this, it's their responsibility.

Old 08-29-18, 06:06 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 791 Votes on 728 Posts
What is your tub made of?

Old 08-29-18, 07:03 PM
Probably an acrylic (maybe fiberglass reinforced). And most likely very limited underside support. But that isn't the point. Anybody who puts a small stool (and I'm betting metal slider) into a tub, be it steel or plastic without some type of protection is asking for trouble.

A good proven repair man can fix it, but being in the bottom is risky. If it was a side panel then no problem. You might want to call Bath fitters to see if they can overlap a new skin over your existing one, thereby sealing any rupture in the tub.

Old 08-30-18, 06:32 AM
Good morning,
The tile guy only got paid for half of the job. I would normally take the path of putting blame and make him responsible. Point is he is a friend of mine out of work and doing small handy man jobs just to get buy. I let him do the work to help him out. I was not expecting this to happen. I am hoping to get more advice on how to fix it rather than throw the guy under the bus. I know it was my decision to hire him but that is the chance I took trying to help a friend. I will not sue him due to 40 years of the friendship. If there is a fix I will have him do the repair.

Beyond that, the picture may seem a bit deceiving. It is not an actual puncture or hole in the tub, it just looks like a hole. the bottom is a metal type material and it seems like the, i'm guessing, acrylic coating is all that is damaged. I currently have a suction cup covering this spot to keep water from getting in but moisture does build up and rust is appearing.

Again, If anyone knows how to patch this temporarily I would greatly appreciate it. I am scheduled with bath fitter 2 weeks from today for a consultation. During that time I would like to keep it from more damage.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you
Bob

Old 08-30-18, 06:48 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 384 Votes on 340 Posts
You can buy tub and tile paint. I don't know if you can buy a small enough amount to make a temporary fix cost effective. If just for a few week - I wouldn't be overly concerned.

Old 08-30-18, 12:31 PM
How do I tell if the tub is an acrylic, fiberglass or porcelain? I found some patch kits online but I need to know what type I should get.

Old 08-30-18, 01:20 PM
Pilot,

I am not sure what it is made of but I was told to knock on it to see what type of sound I get. It sounds like the liberty bell and not a hard plastic. But that still does not tell me what it is made of.

Old 08-30-18, 02:24 PM
Try an auto body shop. Talk to the guys doing the work and see if they might not come and look at what you have. My sister has a similar problem recently and found a guy that did excellent work. You can't see the repair on her "plastic" tub.

Old 08-30-18, 06:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,421 Votes on 1,314 Posts
but moisture does build up and rust is appearing.
Then that is cast iron. Acrylic won't rust. When I enhance the picture I can see the rust.
That's a ding out of the porcelain on a cast iron tub.

Name:  Puncture in tub.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  14.7 KB

There's a good chance it was already rusting and the ladder just loosened up the coating.

Old 08-31-18, 04:43 AM
If it's cast iron, then get a porcelain paint on repair kit. It's not perfect but it will patch it up.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: