Old kitchen valve leaking

Old 09-04-18, 11:47 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Old kitchen valve leaking

Hi All

My 30yr old kitchen is leaking under the sink

When I check the leakage, there is a thin pipe going down through the floor (as marked in the picture)

I wonder if anyone has seen sth similar and knows where it goes pls? Maybe going to fridge?

Also any suggestion on repairing the valve/joint is greatly appreciated. I have visited local store and they said that they have never seen such valve/joint.

Thank you!

Name:  IMG-3886.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  77.3 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 09-04-18 at 04:08 PM. Reason: enhanced/labeled picture
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-18, 04:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,118 Votes on 1,038 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I added a red circle to your picture. That nut is split and that's where the leak is.

If that line going down is on the cold water side..... it could be for a fridge icemaker.
If that line going down is on the hot water side.... it could be for a dishwasher.

It looks like the incoming pipe is 1/2" copper and it looks like the line down is 1/4"
You could use a Sharkbite push on valve to replace that old one provided the pipes were long enough.
SharkBite-Chrome-1-2-in-Push-to-Connect-x-1-4-in-OD-Compression-Quarter-Turn-Angle-Valve

Post another picture of a wider view under the sink so we can see the other pipes.

Old 09-04-18, 10:52 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
PJmax

Thanks a lot for the suggestion.

It is on the cold water side so it is indeed to the fridge (confirmed by checking water outlet on the fridge side)

I bought a 1/2'' X 3/8'' before seeing your reply but the lower pipe was not long enough anyway (and I dont really use the ice maker.... )

so I just leave the vertical line unconnected for now.......

Really like this forum. Guess I ll stick around and learn more about DIY. Thanks again!