How would you handle these small flaws in bathtub?

Old 09-26-18, 03:37 PM
B
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
How would you handle these small flaws in bathtub?

We have a tub that is only 12 years old. The bottom has what I guess is supposed to be non-slip texture. What it looks like is as though someone had those adhesive stickers attached and then removed them and it left marks behind--but they are too perfectly formed to not be intentional. So grayish rectangles all on the bottom of the tub.

Unfortunately there is one scratch and 3 pin dots of rust--all on these grayish spots. So I don't see how any of those DIY kits can work with this gray pattern on the bottom.

Would we have to do a reglaze or get a whole new tub? (We can live with it but are thinking of selling.)

I have 2 photos but have no idea how to add.

Edit: created a "Bathroom Project" but not sure if that will allow me to post the photos here.

Mod note: Moved from this thread: Bathtub resurfacing/re-enamelling

Last edited by Shadeladie; 09-26-18 at 04:36 PM.
Old 09-26-18, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 393 Upvotes on 321 Posts
How to attach pics

Best to start a new thread so I moved it.

Old 09-26-18, 07:09 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Search your area for reglazers. The key things you want to know is if he first acid etches the surface to get rid of shine and promote bonding. If he primes the surface before reglazing and then how many coats he applies of finish. He should also be able to add a non-skid surface to the bottom of the tub for you. I have had hundreds of tubs reglazed, many in a commercial hotel scenario, so lots of use, frequent cleaning with chemicals, etc. They all have held up wonderfully.

Old 09-27-18, 04:41 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,183 Upvotes on 1,953 Posts
I would seek out a professional. Reglazing is one of those things where it's 90% about the prep work and a pro should have the tools and knowledge to do it properly.

Old 09-27-18, 05:02 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 840 Upvotes on 737 Posts
I would add that diy tub refinishing rarely turns out nice

Old 09-27-18, 12:30 PM
B
Photos of flaws in tub

I would not have entitled this thread "Reglazing tub"--that was the name of the original thread that I tried to glom onto. I just want to know the best way to handle these small flaws, especially if we decide to put our house on the market.

In the photos below, I'm not exactly sure what the longer mark is--I guess a scratch. The 3 dots are rust and about the size of a pin head.

Name:  bathtub mark A.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  118.7 KB
Name:  bathtub mark B.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  103.3 KB

Last edited by Bham45; 09-27-18 at 02:51 PM.
Old 09-27-18, 12:45 PM
B
Shadieladie, are you able to rename the thread, "How would you handle these small flaws in bathtub?"?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: