Keeping chrome nice

Old 10-05-18, 06:35 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Keeping chrome nice

Okay this might seem pretty fussy...
I have a pedestal sink in one of my bathrooms and the lines & drain are all visible. I went the extra distance to pick nice looking "better" grade materials so it would stay nice looking.
Over time all the new chrome in my various bathrooms has gotten dull & pitted. Is there a sealer or wax that will keep it shiny for months at a time?

Old 10-05-18, 06:46 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 876 Upvotes on 767 Posts
If it's pitted there isn't much you can do to rectify that short of replacement. Keeping the chrome clean goes a long ways toward keeping in new looking longer. I suppose wax would help although I've never known of anyone doing so.

Old 10-05-18, 09:45 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,327 Upvotes on 2,069 Posts
It the chrome is pitted it's too late. The only way to bring it back is to have it re-chromed which is probably cost prohibitive. It's commonly done with classic car and motorcycle chrome but for bathroom items it's probably less expensive to replace the pitted items.

Automotive stores have chrome polish. You can use the polish to help clean up and protect what you have but the pits will always be there.

Old 10-05-18, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
One note also....never use cleaners with bleach or store them under sinks or inn cabinets in the bath or kitchen. The fumes can eat up metal finishes over time and spraying fixtures directly can be even worse.

Old 10-08-18, 06:44 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I wasn't clear enough. My older installs have gotten dull, some pitting, and stop valves get especially cruddy with corrosion & mineral buildup (but no leaks evident). I want to prevent this on my latest re-do and for the future.

Does anyone actually make polishing the supplies & drains/traps a part of their normal cleaning routine? I was hoping to avoid having to do this on a regular basis but it's not a big deal on my pedestal sink since it's exposed. The only reason the appearance bugs me on fixtures hidden inside cabinets is I deliberately pay premium prices at small plumbing supply houses for heavy brass & thick chrome and I hate to see that stuff degrade.

Good tip about storing bleach. I'll have a look at the labels but I don't think any I keep under the sinks contain bleach.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: