Winterizing a dishwasher

Old 10-25-18, 05:29 AM
Received 88 Votes on 83 Posts
Winterizing a dishwasher

Good Morning Men, what is the correct way to winterize a dishwasher?
Geo

Old 10-25-18, 05:42 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 752 Votes on 691 Posts
Hopefully it's an older model with a rotary mechanical control. I would turn off the water to the dishwasher. Sponge out any water in the bottom that you can reach. Then pour in some RV antifreeze and turn on the controls to get the pump to turn on for 10-20 seconds to get the antifreeze down into the pump and piping below.

Old 10-25-18, 12:24 PM
O
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Pilot's method will work. My method is the same with the following exceptions. I blow out my pipes with an air compressor, so when I get to the dishwasher I keep the air pressure on. Usually above 25psi. I pour about 2 cups of plumbers anti-freeze into the bottom of the dishwasher and then I turn the dial to start and allow the dishwasher to pull water in. Since my water is off and only air pressure it shoots any water in the incoming dishwasher line and inlet valve into the dishwasher to mix with the anti-freeze. I then turn the dial to drain and listen for the sucking sound the pump makes when it shoots water out.

I then do the above one more time and its done. Never had a problem.

Old 10-25-18, 03:07 PM
Received 292 Votes on 262 Posts
Is it being left outside? Or in an unheated apartment or house. If outside then PD's solution is probably sufficient. If inside then you need to keep a house or apartment at a minimum of 55 degrees. You should also prep the toilet and all pipes.

Old 10-25-18, 03:39 PM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Iíve always poured antifreeze in and run the machine to protect the drain pump. However, last winter, our FILL valve froze and broke. This year I did as mentioned below......blew compressed air in through the intake valve to protect the inlet valve.

Same should be done on a clothes washer. And donít forget your Keurig coffee maker. Left ours at our summer home and the boiler bowl cracked inside it....guess the bowl is always full of water.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: