Shower/Tub Caulking

Old 10-29-18, 07:51 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Shower/Tub Caulking

Hi all - I am brand new to the forum so I apologize if i am in the wrong place, etc.

I have scoured the depths of the Internet trying to find an answer to my simple question:

Can I use Geocel Proflex in my bathtub to caulk the seams? It says on Geocel's site that it is NOT for indoor use, but I have found that many people do use it for their tub. But is it really safe? I have two babies and i am not willing to risk anything. If they get water in their mouth that has washed over the proflex, i don't want it to be toxic to them.

Here's some backstory - We had to replace our tub and shower surround as the old shower was tile and we had bad leakage and damage to the walls (including black mold) We replaced everything and used a bathtub caulk (I'm pretty sure latex). It seemed to have cured until we used the shower. Then the caulking behind the firm skin sort of started oozing out from behind. - Weird. We cleaned it/removed old caulk and re-caulked with a general latex caulking. SAME DEAL. This happened about 3 separate times with 3 separate latex caulk. We cleaned it, we rubbed it down with alcohol, we let it dry 24 hrs before applying caulk and we waited 48 hours before using the bathtub after caulking.. so now we are like wtf. The style tub we got (American Standard Saver 60-in White Acrylic Rectangular Alcove Bathtub with matching shower surround) has a flat ledge on top all the way around that doesn't allow water to drain off of it. Could this be why? Because water sits against the caulking?

We used Geocel Proflex to seal our vintage camper exterior and we loved the results!!!

So sorry for this book of a post. Please help us - We only have one shower in our house!!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-18, 08:48 AM
Received 364 Votes on 340 Posts
I'm always a big proponent that if a manufacture states to not do something with teir product then regardless of what others say will default to the manufacture.

Bathroom caulking should be Siliconized Latex with Microban, 48 hours should be sufficient for any latex caulk to dry !

Old 10-29-18, 08:52 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
That's the way i was leaning too. Super desperate to figure out this dang tub though!! haha