Old Moen tub spout just spins

Old 11-02-18, 04:18 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Old Moen tub spout just spins

Looking for some advice. I have an old Moen tub spout that I cannot remove. There is a notch underneath the spout but looking with a mirror and a flashlight all I see is the pipe and no set screw. I cannot turn it by hand but I can turn it counterclockwise with a pipe wrench but it just keeps turning and turning does not come off. looking for help or advice on how to get this tub spout off for replacement. Thanks!

Old 11-02-18, 06:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Post a picture of what you see under the spout...... How-to-insert-pictures

Old 11-03-18, 06:49 AM
Z
Received 124 Upvotes on 115 Posts
I would look close to the wall to see if there is a set screw there. It sounds like you might be just forcing the spout to turn with a pipe wrench but with the set screw still tightened down on the pipe. Seems like that might be possible.

But as previously stated pictures are the way to go.

Old 02-17-20, 06:33 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
For all who find this post looking for a solution to the spinning spout problem. I had the same situation that "mercadr" described exactly. My spout just would spin and I could feel it clicking while spinning like something was stripping. My spout was plastic and this type of spout has plastic grooves that fit over a brass fitting that is actually what is threaded on over the end of the pipe nipple. The spout was stripped so with every turn it was NOT spinning the brass fitting off of the nipple. I discovered this after I took a my oscillating saw and carefully cut into the spout making sure not to cut too deep and hit the nipple contained inside. These's a decent void in the spout around the nipple close to the shower wall end so this was easy. After remove a piece of plastic revealing the nipple and still not sure what the problem was I continued to make additional cuts removing more plastic. At times I would use pliers to brake off pieces of plastic when I wasn't sure what I was cutting into and this eventually removed all of the plastic and revealed the brass fitting on the end of the pipe nipple. I then just put a backer on the nipple and spun the brass fitting off with channel locks with ease. In my opinion if you feel the clicking initially when trying to spin your spout off this will almost certainly be your situation too. Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: