Drain pipe corroded into stub out

Old 11-27-18, 10:16 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Drain pipe corroded into stub out

Hi all, I'm remodeling a bathroom in an house built in 1964. The old vanity drain pipe was pretty corroded but I was able to loosen all of the slip nuts with some penetrating oil. However the pipe that fits into the stub out is so corroded it's stuck in the stub out. I ripped up the pipe trying to get it out (see picture).

Any ideas on how I can get this out? Or has this entered hire a plumper territory?

Thanks!

Attached Images  

Last edited by rm446; 11-27-18 at 10:48 PM.
Old 11-27-18, 11:40 PM
A
If that is metal on metal a flat screwdriver and I hammer will get that out. And patience 👍

Old 11-28-18, 06:25 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 791 Votes on 728 Posts
What Audioslave22 said. A old flat blade screwdriver can be used as a chisel. You can also grab the smooth pipe with pliers and bend it inwards and peel it apart and out of the pipe nipple.

If that doesn't work get the biggest pipe wrench that will fit in the cabinet and remove the pipe nipple from the wall (turn it counter clockwise). Then install a new pipe nipple.

Old 11-29-18, 10:57 PM
R
Thanks for the advice! I kept chiseling (and cursing) and eventually got it out. The image is from after I cut it down to the nipple (needed the space to get pliers on the chisel to get it out). It was buried in their by like 4 inches!

Thanks for the help!

Attached Images  

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: