Object stuck in toilet

Old 11-28-18, 09:52 PM
B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Object stuck in toilet

We had one of those toilet fresheners that hangs off the side of the bowl with a plastic clip fall off and get flushed, clip and all. Now the toilet is clogged. I tried to fish it out by hand but it's too far. I tried to get it with a hanger, now the hanger is stuck... I tried every which way to get the hanger unstuck but I can't get it. I'm not even sure what it is stuck on so badly that trying different angles and rotations doesn't help.

Anyway, anything else I can try before I remove the toilet from the floor to get to it? Is there any danger of damaging the toilet if pull really hard on the hanger? I don't know if there is any part of the toilet that the hanger can be caught on. I'm assuming it's caught on the object but I don't want to pull too hard if it will damage the toilet.

Old 11-28-18, 10:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,322 Likes on 2,983 Posts
A toilet trap has many bends and places for the hanger to get caught on but it sounds like it's down below the toilet. Usually you can turn the snake/wire 180 degrees..... pull some... turn some more, etc to get the hook to unhook. If you are stuck on the toilet itself..... you can crack it if you pull hard enough.

Name:  tb.JPG
Views: 3434
Size:  45.3 KB

Old 11-28-18, 11:00 PM
B
I tried again to stick my hand in there and get the hanger out. I got pretty far up there, probably almost to the trap way. This raises another question. I didn't feel the object at all. Assuming I can get the hanger out, can I get the object out without removing the toilet? Additionally, is it possible the object went through the toilet and is stuck somewhere past that? What do I do then?

Old 11-29-18, 06:16 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds like it's time to pull the toilet and check from underneath. And if it's stuck in the waste line, this may be your only way to go. No pun intended.
A good time to check if your wax ring has been sealing properly and there's no rotting subflooring.

Old 11-29-18, 06:27 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,521 Posts
First, goo to the hardware store or home center and buy a couple wax rings. They are available in different heights/thicknesses. I would get a jumbo and a regular. Next, turn off the water supply to the toilet and flush it and hold the handle down until all the water finishes draining. Then with a sponge get all the water out of the tank and bowl.

Now the fun part. Remove the two nuts at the base of the toilet that attach it to the floor. Straddle the toilet and grab the middle of the bowl and lift straight up. Now you can lay the toilet on it's side and have access to the trap from the other end. Also make sure you look down the drain pipe to see if the cleaner thing made it that far.

---
In the future do not use ANY in toilet cleaning or coloring products. Just do the work and clean the toilet once every couple weeks. In tank products can be worse. When they break apart and get flushed they can clog the water distribution passages in the toilet bowl and can require replacing the toilet.

Old 11-29-18, 07:07 AM
O
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I had a comb lost in a toilet once. I eventually pulled it up and I still could not get it out. So with a brand new toilet installed, after a couple beers I took a big rock to the old toilet by the road and smashed it, for investigative reasons. The comb was lodged right in the place where PJ's picture shows the trapway. It was so lodged, it was not going anywhere and one would have had almost the same difficulty reaching from the bottom of the toilet as one would from the bowl side.

Basically it killed my toilet.

Old 11-29-18, 10:27 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,521 Posts
My worst story is when a child shoved a ball into the toilet. The inside of the trap was much larger than the entrance and exit so the ball could move around inside the trap. A drain snake would just slide past the ball like there was nothing there. When you flushed the toilet the ball would be pushed to the exit and formed a perfect seal. Of course I knew none of this when trying to clear the clog.

Finally I gave in and installed a new toilet. I told the tenant if it was a normal clog there would be no charge for the toilet and installation but if there was something in there that shouldn't go down the toilet then they would have to pay. So with the toilet outside and hammer in hand mom and the kids watched as I broke the toilet. Out came the ball. Mom angrily turned to the kids and the littlest took off running.

Old 11-29-18, 07:04 PM
Received 646 Likes on 571 Posts
Years back my wife dropped a a plastic lid about 3 inches in diameter in the toilet (she did not notice it). It acted like a gate valve sliding over the outlet intermittently. Trying to figure what was wrong and why the toilet would occasionally overflow was mind boggling. I could never get repeatability. It might go days without a problem then overflow maybe twice daily or several times. Then not again for perhaps a day or days. Desperation made me pull the toilet and the the lid slid out.

Old 11-30-18, 07:44 AM
B
Received 225 Likes on 199 Posts
I have used this technique successfully. Before removing toilet. flush a length of string (3-5 feet) through the toilet (string secured on seat side of toilet). After removing toilet use the string (outlet end) to pull largest diameter rope through the toilet and past obstacle. Pass the rope through a tennis ball. Tie a knot in the rope beyond the tennis ball and then pull tennis ball from outlet side to seat side of toilet using the secured end of rope. Should dislodge obstacle.

Old 12-21-18, 05:35 PM
B
Well I just thought I'd share an update for any future users having a similar issue. The hanger I attempted to use to fish out the object was a much bigger problem than the original issue. I ended up just removing the toilet from the floor and the object was right at the bottom and I just plucked it out.

As for the hanger, I couldn't get it out from the bottom, I tried taking the tank off thinkin I could get at it that way but that was a waste of time as the opening is very small and flat. Can't even get a finger in. I tried several times to stick my hand up there and simply try to manuver it out. I though I'd have to just break off what I could and see if I could push it through to the other end. Eventually I realized that the rest of the hanger that was sticking out and the way it curved coming out was preventing me from manuvering the hanger. What did the trick was breaking off the hanger as far up as I could. Then I was finally able to rotate the rest of the hanger enough so that the hook wasn't catching and pulled it out. It took way more effort than it should have but at least it's working now.

Thank you all for the help and suggestions.

Old 12-21-18, 08:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,322 Likes on 2,983 Posts
Thanks for letting us know how you made out. Name:  grin_candy cane.gif
Views: 852
Size:  9.9 KB

Old 12-24-18, 07:10 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Good deal!
Sometimes the less desirable solution is the best. Merry Christmas all!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: