shower wouldnt turn off

Old 12-14-18, 02:01 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
shower wouldnt turn off

A few years ago I put an aqua source (lowes brand) single handle shower valve in a tenants apartment. Luckily this is all exposed as its still currently for a claw foot tub.

The other day it just stopped turning off. Like full blast shower 24/7. I had to have them turn the valves under the tub off. I took our the ceramic cartridge and brought it to the store but of course they didnt stock it, a new one would have to be order and take a week+ and cost me around 45$.

I said forget it. I ended up rebuilding every single o ring and washer in the thing and it STILL didnt shut off. The balancing valve in the middle seemed fine.

I ended up buying a delta and installing that so I know the part is always readily available.

Its still killing me why though it wouldnt shut off. Ive never seen that, ever. Usually its a trickle or drip but FULL BLAST????

Old 12-14-18, 07:12 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,217 Upvotes on 1,979 Posts
I've never seen that happen. Was there anything inside mechanically broken? When you turn the handle was it actually moving the valve?

Old 12-17-18, 07:16 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
oddly yes, I checked to see if anything had it clogged up, I blasted the body with water just in case, I spun everything, adjusted the temp setting just in case, and verified that the handle was turning it. I even turned the valve with pliers with the handle off.... it was the oddest thing I ever saw. full blast, mixing correctly, just wouldnt shut off.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: