I am looking for a hinge for a 45 yr old toilet seat.

Old 12-26-18, 06:30 PM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I am looking for a hinge for a 45 yr old toilet seat.

Ok. So, I am in the process of remodeling the bathroom and the wife has been nagging me to fix the broken toilet seat. This is a very old toilet and the date under the tank lid says April 5, 1973. No make or model number. I got in touch with the guys at PlumbingSupply.com and sent them a pic of the old toilet and they are almost certain it's an older model Murray toilet made by Eljer. Eljer does not have a toilet seat or the hinges for it. I looked all over the web, Amazon, eBay, etc. with no luck. I live in South Carolina, USA and have been searching for someone who has old toilets in hopes of finding this toilet seat or the hinges. So far, no luck with that either. Does anyone here have this toilet seat? I just need the hinges. Or is there somewhere I can go to find the hinges online or somewhere in SC?

Here's a pic of the toilet seat:

And the toilet:

Old 12-26-18, 06:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Won't a standard elongated toilet seat fit. or is there something special about this seat. You could buy a cheap seat and take the hinges off it to use.

Old 12-27-18, 12:27 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Won't a standard elongated toilet seat fit. or is there something special about this seat. You could buy a cheap seat and take the hinges off it to use.
Or after 45 years get a new comfort height elongated toilet and enjoy the upgrade, that one looks like it's seen better days!

Old 12-27-18, 03:53 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
I can only ask why?_______________________________________________

Old 12-27-18, 05:10 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 25 Upvotes on 22 Posts
You might buy any replacement seat, then remove the hinges from the new seat to install them on the old. That way they would match each other.

As you've found, finding the exact make and model replacement will be difficult. Even if you found them, there would be a color difference. Since more people (such as guests or prospective buyers) are likely to notice (and be disgusted by) the wear and discoloration of the old seat before they notice the mismatch in make and model between the hinge and the seat, it may be time to move on, and install a replacement seat.

Old 12-27-18, 07:33 AM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Yeah. I'll just get a replacement seat then. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: