Leaking shower!! Please Help

Old 01-02-19, 06:23 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Leaking shower!! Please Help

Good evening, good people. On here trying to find a resolution for a very disturbing and consistent issue I'm encountering with my shower door. Every time I go and take a shower, the water from the shower leaks through the bottom of the door and spills onto the floor. There is a plastic barrier attached to the bottom of the door but even that doesn't prevent the water. What did the contractor do wrong? I called them and they came with the plastic barrier solution but that isn't solving the problem. DIY to the rescue. What can I do to simply have a functioning shower to where I don't have to worry about cleaning up water daily. LIterally every time we take a shower. Someone please advise and thank you all in advance.

Attached Images   
Old 01-02-19, 07:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,343 Votes on 1,241 Posts
Are you getting water from the left side glass where the blue towel is too ?
The piece on the bottom of the door is called a sweep.
To be effective it needs to be on the inside of the door.

If the curb isn't pitched slightly inwards..... I'm not sure if anything will stop the water.

Old 01-02-19, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 63 Votes on 55 Posts
Proper sweep and sometimes a drip rail needed inside.

Old 01-03-19, 03:37 AM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
The curb needs to be pitched back toward the shower for water to properly be sheeted back towards the shower and not out into the room. Open the door to the shower and put a level on the curb perpendicular to the door. If the the curb does not pitch toward the shower, that is the detail you need to communicate to your contractor.

Old 01-07-19, 01:05 PM
B
Leaking showe reply

Hey guys so to answer a few questions. No, the water is not leaking where the blue towel is. It is only leaking from the door. Secondly and for clarity. Are you guys telling me that the sweep needs to be found on the inside of the door....? So wouldn't its efficacy be tested because it will be going against the grain every time we open the door to coming out of the shower? I can see it bending or being pushed in the direction of the door as we move in and out of everyday. Is this accurate? And if so, how is that problem resovled? Lastly, is this a DIY situaion. I'm trying to get married this year and I don't want to keep handing out money to a contractor when I can do it myself. Can i fix this? And if so, what would be the directions I should follow in order to get the job done. Thank you all in advance for lending me your ear and your professional advice.

Old 01-07-19, 01:14 PM
Q
I think the bottom of the shower door should have something similar to this one. So that the water will be blocked from escaping to outside.

Best

Attached Images  
Old 01-07-19, 04:38 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 751 Votes on 690 Posts
The sweep at the bottom of the door will always be going against the grain no matter which way you aim it because you have to open and close the door. In one direction it will be against the grain. No, it's not a great design but that's the look people want.

The sill must be sloped towards the shower because the sweep cannot form a reliable water tight seal across it's entire length all the time. The sweep will keep spray and splashes from shooting right out of the shower but in most cases it will allow water to seep underneath. Even with a new sweep there is a small gap at either end that can let water through.

Heavy glass is often problematic and the requirement for shower doors to open outwards makes things worse. Like a exotic sports car heavy glass is chosen for it's appearance not for it's functionality or low maintenance. Look at how the exterior doors on your house seal. There is a step/lip for the door to seal against and along the bottom there is a raised threshold in addition to the weatherstripping. Now imagine how well your front door would keep water out with the threshold, molding and weatherstripping removed and you outside with a garden hose spraying it every day. Do what you can for your shower but you may have to accept that a towel on the floor is the best solution.

Old 01-08-19, 01:00 PM
B
A metal rod on the heavy glass shower door is the solution?

Old 01-09-19, 07:59 AM
B
I hear you P-Dane.....no other solution huh? Its just going to be what it's going to be. Nothing to keep the water on the inside of the shower. We should invent something that does the trick! This is unbelievable. And there is nothing I can do with the lip? That part that I step over to get into the shower. Can't chisel it down or reshape it in any way right? Just trying to think out loud I guess. Please advise.

Old 01-09-19, 08:19 AM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
And there is nothing I can do with the lip? That part that I step over to get into the shower. Can't chisel it down or reshape it in any way right? Just trying to think out loud I guess. Please advise.
The tile could definitely be removed from the curb, sloped properly, then new tile installed. Although you'd have to remove the glass and reinstall it. The bench complicates things, so you'll need to be careful about how much the curb is altered.

If you just had this tile job done, I would insist the company come back out and fix it. Have you put a level on the curb to verify it is in fact level or even sloping away from the shower?

Old 01-09-19, 09:29 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 751 Votes on 690 Posts
Invent something... Shower doors and enclosures with frames solved the problem long ago. The problem is people want the clean look of heavy glass with nothing around the edges. With nothing there there is nothing to stop the water. Getting slope on the curb is key to getting water to drain back into the shower but... A sloped curb means the outside is higher which the door and it's bottom sweep must clear. Another imperfect situation. The bottom of the door must be high enough above the tile so the sweep has enough room to flex without being damaged. If the glass is too close to the curb the sweep catches and folds under, tears or jams the door. This gets worse with age as the plastic sweep hardens. So, if you order a new sweep I'd order an extra or two and just plan on replacing it as necessary.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: