Basic question re: Moen bathroom faucets

Old 01-21-19, 06:30 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basic question re: Moen bathroom faucets

Hi - I'm not very handy at all, disclaimer!

I have a Moen Brantford wide set bathroom faucet (just over 5 years old if that matters). My faucet is dripping even when off. I did some basic google searching and have isolated the issue with the hot water side (when I shut off the cold water valve, it still drips, but when I switch off the hot water valve, the dripping stops.

Everything I read online says to tighten the nut around the cartridge OR if it doesn't stop after that, change the cartridge altogether.

However, when I unscrewed the handle, I only see a red cap looking thing... here's where my lack of knowledge is evident if it wasn't already I'm not sure if this is simply a different TYPE of cartridge? Or did the plumber who initially installed this cut corners and there is no cartridge at all?

I'm not sure what to do here to try to stop the drip. I've tightened the screw inside the red cap, but still dripping.

Any thoughts or advice is much appreciated - thank you so much!

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-19, 07:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,205 Votes on 1,115 Posts
That uses a Moen 1224 cartridge. Here's a video showing how it's done.
Very descriptive narration.

youtube.com/watch?v=dfTDlhBerno

Old 01-21-19, 08:58 PM
D
Thanks! Lol on his narration

Old 01-22-19, 07:49 AM
J
Received 79 Votes on 74 Posts
If you contact Moen directly they will likely send you the parts for free.

Old 01-22-19, 07:53 AM
D
I'll try that, thank you!

Old 01-23-19, 07:10 AM
O
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Related Question:

Why do they not use a simple 1/4 turn valve for faucets. Instead they have either cartridges or washers. I have never had a problem with 1/4 valves. They could easily pretty them up and I don't see why they would not work just as well.

Most 1/4 turn valves I have used is for master shut offs and the like but I was always curious why they are not used for faucets.

Old 01-23-19, 02:43 PM
D
Just wanted to say thanks for all the help here. I was too impatient to wait on Moen, so I just bought the part from Amazon. It was actually relatively easy to switch out and now the drip is gone! When I pulled out the old cartridge, some water sort of pooled up and leaked over the edge, but not much... is that normal? Other than that, worked like a charm.

Appreciate your help very much - can't believe I almost paid someone a good amount of money to do that.

@OptsyEagle, it does seem needlessly complex, but I'm by no means an expert on why they'd do it that way. I'm just glad it worked (for now )