I'm hearing a fast click, click, click in wall where shower head is

Old 02-01-19, 02:27 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'm hearing a fast click, click, click in wall where shower head is

Even though it sounds almost like a mechanical tick,tick,tick,tick.... should I assume it's a fast leak (i.e. drip, drip, drip, drip...)? It's very rapid.

Assuming it is a leak, what the heck do I do? Sounds like it's coming from up near the shower head, not the handle. But it could just sound like that and not be the case. Either way, I have no experience with this sort of thing.

No idea if this happens when water is running (wouldn't be able to hear it), but it's happening right now when water isn't running. I tried running the water then turning it off, doesn't change the sound/rapidness of the sound.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-19, 02:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,197 Votes on 1,107 Posts
It would be pretty rare to hear a water leak unless the water was dripping on something solid. Usually the water will follow the wall or framing and then appear where it shouldn't be.

Is this a tub where you have a tub/shower diverter ?
That diverter should allow all the water to drain out of the pipe in the wall.
If there is no diverter..... a leak could last a short while until the pipe emptied.

It's very likely to hear a dripping sound in a PVC drain system.
Is there a bathroom above that one ?

Old 02-01-19, 03:30 PM
N
Yes, it's a tub with a diverter. I think I tried it both up and down but I'll play around and see if adjusting it stops the noise.

Nothing above it (it's the top floor).

Old 02-01-19, 03:32 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 686 Votes on 633 Posts
My first guess is that you are hearing the pipes expand. If you leave the shower off for an hour do you still hear the ticking?

Old 02-01-19, 03:58 PM
N
Yes, it's been doing this for hours.

About 30 minutes ago I pushed down the diverter (changing it form the shower heard to the tub spot). Noise seemed a little better at first, just checked it again, totally gone!

So is it just some 'noise' having to do with the diverter (or pipes or whatnot), or could there still possibly be a leak up near the shower head and I should maybe have this looked at by a pro?

Old 02-01-19, 04:32 PM
Received 396 Votes on 370 Posts
Noise is most likly due to pipes expanding and rubbing on the walls or studs.

So you have confirmed that with time the noise go away, an annoyance but not a leak!

May be able to get into the area behind the tub and make improvements to eliminate the noise!

Old 02-01-19, 04:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,197 Votes on 1,107 Posts
When you change the diverter from shower to tub..... all the water drains out of the upper shower pipe. That means you don't have a leak. Better chance of the pipe rubbing on the wood. Not really much can be done with that without opening the wall.

If the shower head is on an outside wall..... you'll hear the noise more pronounced when cold outside as the cold inside the wall acts on the warm pipe.

Old 02-01-19, 04:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 721 Votes on 667 Posts
Its common to hear that noise if someone had been taking a shower and they simply shut the water off but didn't flip the diverter to let the pipe to the shower head drain.

Old 02-01-19, 05:59 PM
N
thanks everybody. i'm just glad it's not a leak!

it's not on an outside wall, so i don't think the extreme cold is having an effect.

we don't normally flip the diverter, usually just turn off water, and this hasn't been an issue in the past, just recently.

the only thing different is a new showerhead a few weeks ago. also, it's a handheld, if that makes a difference (old one was handheld as well).

is there some chance that this new one is affecting the water that's sitting in the upper pipe differently than the old one was?