Remove shower glass from u-channel

Old 03-13-19, 01:18 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Remove shower glass from u-channel

Hi everyone, I've been searching the forum for this but haven't found anything so I thought I'd post this in a new thread. I'm trying to remove a frameless shower glass assembly. One step that I'm not sure how to tackle is removing the glass from the u-channel. Can anybody give me some advice? See attached photo of the shower.

Thanks!

Name:  shower.JPG
Views: 1689
Size:  42.4 KB

Name:  shower1.JPG
Views: 1071
Size:  24.7 KB

Name:  shower2.JPG
Views: 1060
Size:  21.2 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 03-13-19 at 06:16 PM. Reason: reoriented picture/added two closeup pics
Old 03-13-19, 05:35 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 746 Votes on 685 Posts
Keep in mind that most on this forum are in North America so our products could be very different. The ones I've run into are either glued in place with sealant or was a very firm press fit into a barbed like gasket that seems to make it easy to insert the glass but difficult to remove.

Old 03-13-19, 07:26 AM
Group Moderator
Received 779 Votes on 718 Posts
Yep... you will likely need suction cups and deglazing tools to cut the sealant if that's what was used. Looks like you have a black gasket.... if it is a spline gasket (one on each side of the glass) it will pull out first.

But if it is a marine glazing boot, it surrounds the glass like a glove, and you have to pull the glass (and boot) out of the aluminum, or possibly cut the sealant holding the aluminum to the wall. Hard to say exactly how it was installed.

Old 03-18-19, 02:16 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you very much everyone. I finally managed to get it removed!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: