Sink popup drain overflow leak problem

Old 03-17-19, 06:30 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sink popup drain overflow leak problem

I am a plumbing rookie and just installed a new double sink vanity in my bathroom. One sink works great but the other has a small leak out the bottom. After much troubleshooting I figured out the water is going down the drain but a lot of the water is also going out the overflow hole and down into the area between the sink and drain assembly.

I realize the rubber gasket under the sink should be holding this water in place and after reading some other posts here I could put some putty in there or apply thread sealant. But my real question is, is this normal?? Should water be going into his area and sitting there forever? There’s no other way for water to get out of this spot except if it leaks out. I’m also nervous why the other sink isn’t leaking unless there is a flaw with this one drain causing a ton of water to flow opposite out of the two overflow drain hole.

I took everything apart and you can see the water flowing outside the drain. (It is not leaking where the drain meets the top of the sink, this is sealed nicely with putty.)

Old 03-18-19, 04:11 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Looks like you dented the tail piece or drain assembly. Replace it. No, the water that flows into the overflow does not stay in the sink cavity. The drain assembly has holes to allow it to drain completely. If your sink is porcelain use plumbers putty to seal the drain assembly. If it's cultured marble or plastic, use silicone.

Old 03-18-19, 04:23 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
In your photo you neither have the washer or nut in place that seals the drain. Does it leak when you install the washer and nut?

Old 03-18-19, 04:40 AM
J
I removed the washer, nut, and rubber gasket to get a better idea of where the leaking water is coming from. When it’s all in place, the water slowly drips out from the nut piece. I know I can use some sealant to prevent that but the bigger issue was the amount of water that was going into this area.

Norm201, I am not saying the water is entering the overflow via the overflow hole at the top of the sink. The water is going down the drain but splashing OUT of the two overflow holes that are part of the drain piece. Then the water flows down outside of the drain tube and gathers above where the rubber washer usually sits. If I were to guess, 30-40% of the water going down the drain is winding up in this area. Not sure if that is normal.

Old 03-18-19, 09:59 AM
P
Group Moderator
With a bathroom sink the water sealing is done with the rubber washer at the bottom. Try re-positioning it and tightening. If that doesn't do it inspect the lip of the sink where it meets the washer. Sometimes sharp or raised edges prevent the gasket from sealing.

Old 03-18-19, 12:14 PM
J
Thanks I will try that today - but is the water gathering in that space normal? If sealed properly that means I will have sitting water in that area forever with no place to go since the water will still be going out of the overflow hole, but just be stopped by the rubber washer at the bottom of the sink.

Old 03-18-19, 02:56 PM
P
Group Moderator
Bathroom sinks are odd. There is a cavity below the bowl where the overflow and normal drain meet. If you pull out the drain assembly you'll see big holes in the side of the drain tube that allows the overflow water into the drain. Those holes also mean that drain water can get into the cavity. So, yes there is almost always some water trapped in that space getting nasty.

Old 03-19-19, 04:07 AM
J
Exactly what I need thank you!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: