Leaking Kohler faucet

Old 03-23-19, 09:04 AM
Received 62 Upvotes on 53 Posts
Leaking Kohler faucet

Just as a notice to mods - in drop down menu for Plumbing it shows Bathroom and Kitchen section but when clicked on Plumbing link, there is none to go to. Checked several times.
I can't go sideways to that forum, it closes right away the moment arrow moves off the main drop down menu.

But anyhow. I have leaking Kohler faucet in bathroom.
It's Hot one. It will leak when opened or when Cold one is opened too.

Any suggestions how to fix it?
Leaks from circled area. Just a drip drip. Goes into sink, more of annoyance than real problem.

Attached Images   
Old 03-23-19, 11:50 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
I am going to guess that your Kohler faucet has stems and not cartridges. If I am correct you just need to replace the stems. Since you have levers you need to be sure to get one Hot stem and one Cold stem. The only difference is the threads; one is left hand threaded. If you had faucet knobs instead of levers you would use a Hot stem on both sides.

Old 03-23-19, 12:07 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
I'm betting it's cartridge. Either rebuild it or replace it. Stemmed faucets haven't been made in at least 40 years.
Stemmed faucets would normally have a gland nut to tighten down. That would prevent leakage through the stem. Washers prevent leakage from the faucet.

Old 03-23-19, 01:58 PM
Hiw do I get to it? Just undo the bottom piece and pull it up and out? There's nothing under the sink, just a T.

Old 03-24-19, 09:06 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
I'd contact Kohler and see if they will help identify the model faucets you have. Once the model is determined you can look up manuals to show how they come apart. I have never called Kohler before, but I know that Delta and Moen provide this service to their customers.

https://support.kohler.com/hc/en-us/...r-Faucet-Model

https://support.kohler.com/hc/en-us/...der-the-Handle

https://support.kohler.com/hc/en-us/...-Handle-Faucet

Your faucet looks a lot like this one.

https://www.build.com/kohler-k-394-4...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited by CasualJoe; 03-24-19 at 09:26 AM.
Old 03-24-19, 09:41 AM
And Moen gives you lifetime free parts. I'm out of luck with Kohler though as their warranty is for original owner.
Will do.
Thank you.

Old 03-24-19, 09:55 AM
Got it***************************

Attached Images  
Old 03-24-19, 10:12 AM
And Moen gives you lifetime free parts. I'm out of luck with Kohler though as their warranty is for original owner.
Will do.
Thank you.
And how do they know you're not the original owner? It's not reasonable for them to ask you for a Receipt. Say you're the original owner and you want warranty service. I really can't see what difference it makes if you're the original purchaser or not!

Old 03-24-19, 10:15 AM
con·science
/ˈkän(t)SHəns/
noun
noun: conscience; plural noun: consciences

an inner feeling or voice viewed as acting as a guide to the rightness or wrongness of one's behavior.

Old 03-24-19, 01:37 PM
I understand your feelings. But in this case it's just BS. I'm an honest guy and would never cheat the system. But the faucet does not know if you or "Joe Blow" is using it. The house is the same, the water is the same, the plumbing is the same. If you rent the house is that make the you the second user (owner)? If you gave the house to one of your children, does that make them the second owner of the unit? Yes of course it does, but the faucet doesn't know that? I encourage all my customers to call the company and ask for warranty repair or replacement regardless of who bought what or when. A warranty is a warranty. And in this case a new owner does not affect how the faucet is used. If money is no object then buy a new unit.

Old 03-24-19, 04:03 PM
Hmm, I like Kohler.
They actually didn't ask if I am the original owner and are already shipping replacement parts.
That's very nice of them!

Old 03-24-19, 04:37 PM
Glad you called. And you didn't need to lie.

All the name brands are like this (MOEN, AM STD, DELTA, Hans Grogh, Etc...) This same warranty also goes for the finish. Faucets are one of the few things that have actually improved and last a long time.

Old 03-24-19, 04:54 PM
And Kohler took few hrs and Moen 3 days. Good service.

Old 03-25-19, 01:19 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
My kohler canister seal wore out 6 months into using the toilet and they demanded a invoice from me so I emailed them my Home Depot online invoice and they shipped a new seal right away

Old 03-25-19, 03:56 AM
they demanded a invoice from me
When this happens, wait a day or several hours and call again. Most likely you'll get a different person who will not demand a receipt. Or you could ask to talk to the next higher person. A Receipt is NOT REQUIRED. It's their product and they issued the warranty, they can't renig on it just because of a lack of receipt.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: