Please help!!! Toilet fills up then slowly drains

Old 04-04-19, 02:48 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Please help!!! Toilet fills up then slowly drains

When I flush the toilet it fills the bowl completely and just sits. Over time the bowl slowly drains and any solids just hang out at the bottom of the bowl. I used a plunger the first time it happened and it didnít do much. I went out and bought a 60$ auger the next time hoping something was lodged in the toilet and that did not do the trick. The toilet was really old(dated 1986) so I decided to buy a new one and see if it was the toilet. Installed the new toilet and itís doing the exact same thing. There are two other bathrooms in the house and they work just fine. The toilet weíre having issues with is the main bathroom used since itís located near the living room. A friend suggested it might have something to do with my plumbing vent being clogged but Iím unsure as to how to locate it. Please any suggestions or tips will help

Old 04-04-19, 03:02 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,182 Upvotes on 1,140 Posts
I would pull the stool and snake the drain line again.

Old 04-04-19, 03:07 PM
R
Will do... another thing... when I went to place the toilet down to line the mounting bolts to the holes, I missed and the wax ring was punctured by one of the bolts.... it leaked while trying to flush. Did I ruin the wax ring by doing this and should I just get another one?

Old 04-04-19, 03:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,643 Upvotes on 1,471 Posts
Yes you ruined the ring and will need another.

Someone recently gave the tip about putting a couple McDonald's soda straws over the bolts to help you guide them through the holes. If you can't do it, it pays to have a helper guide you down over the bolts.

You can also make the toilet lighter by removing the tank. That often helps tremendously.

Old 04-04-19, 04:17 PM
R
awesome thanks! so i pulled the toilet and the drain hole is exposed. when i ran the water from the bathroom sink to wash my hands i noticed the water filling up in the drain hole and went all over the floor. it stopped seeping out once i stopped running the sink... Does this mean anything?

Old 04-04-19, 04:20 PM
Group Moderator
Yeah it means you have a clog in the line that the toilet and sink share. That's why it was suggested that you pull the toilet and snake the line. After you snake it repeatedly, be sure you run water again before you set the toilet. You should be able to dump a 5 gallon bucket of water down the toilet drain with no problems.

Old 04-04-19, 04:26 PM
R
copy that... will go out and rent a commercial one tomorrow. Thank you so much for the amazing feedback! randomly stumbled upon this website and i'm so glad i did. I called a plumber and he came and suggested it might be the toilet or the line could be clogged. The price he was gonna charge me do either was through the roof. i will report back tomorrow and let ya know how it goes

Old 04-04-19, 04:30 PM
Group Moderator
Ok, you can buy us beer once you get it fixed. LOL

Old 04-06-19, 12:02 PM
R
The snake worked!!!! probably didn't even need the new toilet but an updated toilet is nice. Thanks for the tips, you guys saved me so much money. If we were local i'd def buy you guys some beer

Old 04-06-19, 06:35 PM
Group Moderator
Nice job... thanks for posting back.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: