Glass Shower Door Coming Loose

Old 04-09-19, 08:11 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Glass Shower Door Coming Loose

I have a glass shower door that is coming loose from the tile wall. I can't seem to figure out how to access the screws that are attaching the door hinge to the wall. Please see the pictures provided for more information.

Name:  h1.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  80.2 KB

Name:  h2.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  60.7 KB

Name:  h3.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  81.0 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 04-10-19 at 04:20 PM. Reason: reoriented/resized pictures
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-19, 04:41 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 632 Votes on 584 Posts
Are you certain it is coming loose? How does the gap look on the other side of the door? If the gap is parallel I would say it's not moving and that gap is part of the initial adjusting/tweeking during installation.

If you look at your first picture you can see two springs and two screws. That looks like an adjustment block so installers can make fine adjustments during installation.

Old 04-10-19, 04:55 AM
F
The shower door used to open both ways. You could either pull it away from the shower or you could push it into the shower and it would open all the way in either direction. But now on the non-hinge side, the top part of the door will hit the tile as you start pushing it into the shower, but the bottom part does not have this problem.

It used to be parallel, but it's not anymore.

Old 04-10-19, 07:29 AM
P
Group Moderator
Open the door all the way and look at the hinge. Are there screw heads visible? If so tighten them. If not then the hinge will need to be removed so you can tighten the bolts attaching the pivot block to the mounting plate.

Old 04-10-19, 09:59 AM
F
There are no screw heads visible on the hinge. So I'll need to:
  1. Remove the mounting plates from the glass door
  2. Remove the hinge
  3. A second person will have to hold the door in place at this point while I tighten the screws (I'm assuming)
  4. At this point I'll be able to access the screws that need to be tightened back into the wall
  5. Then I can reattach the hinge
  6. Then I can reattach the mounting plate on the glass door
My biggest fear is that I will remove the hinge and then not be able to reattach it due to some unforeseen issue. Are there any potential complications I should know about? Is this an extremely simple task that I'm over worrying about?

Old 04-10-19, 11:54 AM
P
Group Moderator
There is always the chance of a "gotcha" popping up but having a helper or two should take care of most problems as dealing with the cumbersome weight of the door is a issue.

I would have some blue Loctite on hand. When you have access to the hinge tighten both screws to hold everything in place. Then remove ONE screw only. Wipe the threads clean and apply a drop of thread locker and reinstall it. Then remove and thread lock the other one. Hopefully that will prevent them from working loose in the future.