Space between escutcheon and shower wall

Old 04-18-19, 08:00 PM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Space between escutcheon and shower wall

The rubber flanged disc that surrounds the mixing valve on my new basement shower has a bit of a gap between it and the shower wall where I can see some of the black rubber flange. This disc is flush to the shower wall on the other showers in my house. I've tried tightening the two bolts securing the disc to the shower but it didn't help. What might cause this and can it be fixed? Could the small gap be an issue or will the flange prevent any problems?

Name:  IMG_20190418_194222.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  54.7 KB

Old 04-18-19, 08:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 790 Votes on 727 Posts
There is a sponge gasket back there... it is probably fine. Your valve might have been installed a fraction too far out. That's hard to change at this point in time.

Old 04-18-19, 08:19 PM
R
Would running a small bead of silicone be helpful or I shouldn't bother?

(sorry but that reminds me of an unrelated question, I've noticed some "clear" silicone caulk yellows in a short period of time while others remain transparent. Is there something to watch out for in certain brands of silicone caulk?)

Old 04-18-19, 08:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 790 Votes on 727 Posts
As long as the gasket is sealing it up I wouldn't add silicone. Will look worse than it does now.

Any silicone used in a bathroom needs to be kitchen and bath... which usually means it is mold/mildew proof.

You could take the escutcheon plate off, and run the screws in without the plate on and make sure the screws aren't too long and are hitting some wood backing behind the valve or something. If they are you just need to shorten your screws or get shorter ones. Stainless steel, obviously.

Old 04-18-19, 10:46 PM
R
That's a really good idea, thanks for all the info and help!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: