NEED ADVICE - Brand new Delta shower diverters not working

Old 07-11-19, 03:19 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question NEED ADVICE - Brand new Delta shower diverters not working

Hi all,

Thanks in advance for reading this - we just purchased a home and after closing discovered that the diverters in all 3 showers don't work at all. The trim is Delta Trinsic, and the mixer tap is a Delta monitor. All the fittings and cartridges look brand new, and the taps work, but the diverters do nothing ie water flows equally from the shower head and the hand held spray. The diverters are the 3-setting 2 output type. Since the fault is exactly the same in all three bathrooms, I thought that someone here might have an idea of what I might check or address before bringing in a plumber. I'm handy enough to change a cartridge but probably not much beyond that - any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated! And yes, we should absolutely have tested all of them before the closing - first time homebuyer's mistake, hopefully non-fatal..

Thanks,
Des

Old 07-11-19, 06:42 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Assume you have two sets of handles for both showers. One that turns the water on and you set the temperature with and the second handle controls the water that either goes to the handheld, or shower head or both. The 3 function diverter may have the cartidge inserted upside down and therefore is not directing the flow of water correctly. It also may be that the input/output pipes in the wall are configured incorrectly for this set up. The same rough in housing is used for both the 3 function and 6 function set ups. In the 3 function set up the "right hand port" as you look at the diverter from inside the shower is to be capped off and the output to the secondary shower head (handheld) is strictly using the "left hand exit port". Possible that it is plumbed wrong.

Old 07-11-19, 08:53 PM
D
Hi czizzi,

Thanks so much for your reply - you are correct, two sets of handles. I didn't know it was possible for the cartridge to be installed upside down, though from what we are seeing from the rest of the house, I wouldn't put it past the developers to do it incorrectly 3 times and overlook it. The product literature does seem to indicate that the cartridge has a mating hole to ensure proper alignment. I guess my question is - is there any potential harm in removing the bonnet, sleeve and cartridge to have a look at the rough in and check that those ports are plumbed correctly (or at all for that matter) ? I did read about the necessary capping and port assignment, but stopped short of loosening the large bonnet nut to have a closer look, for fear of screwing things up even further.

Des

Old 07-12-19, 04:34 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Yes, you can pull off the escutcheon plate to have a look behind. Hopefully you will be able to see something. Unfortunately if you do find something wrong the wall will have to be opened up to access it. Usually it's easiest to cut an access hole in the wall on the back side. That way you don't mess up the shower walls or surround.

Old 08-01-19, 05:12 AM
M
I am by no means a plumber and just from his responses to my thread I would trust Pilot Dane over anything I say..

However, I had a similar issues with mine and it turned out that the contractor who re-finished our bathroom did not screw down the nut holding the cartridge down hard enough and the water was just slipping behind the cartridge without ever entering the 3 way diverter.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: