How to remove shower temp knobs without caps?

Old 08-17-19, 07:28 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2017
Location: United States
Posts: 30
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to remove shower temp knobs without caps?

Good Morning All,

My shower setup has 2 knobs (cold and hot) and the head. I have no idea what brand these knobs are; the house was built in the 40's and God knows how old they are. The rest of the bathroom is very outdated so I'm assuming they weren't replaced any time too recently.

The cold temp knob has a leak, but I'm not sure how to remove the knob. There is no cap on these knobs - it kind of looks like a cap, but it is not removable.

I can unscrew the fat base behind the knob, but I can't remove completely since I can't figure how to get the knob off. I'm including some images for reference. Please let me know if you have any advice here and thank you in advance!

Once I get the knob off, I may need some advice on fixing the leak, but I'll start with just trying to remove it first so I can see what's going on back there.

Name:  f1.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  22.9 KB

Name:  f2.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  17.7 KB

Name:  f3.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  24.4 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 08-17-19 at 12:40 PM. Reason: cropped/resized pictures
Old 08-17-19, 07:38 AM
CasualJoe's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 11,149
Received 164 Votes on 147 Posts
In the last picture I see some knurling on what would normally be a cap, but you say it isn't a cap. Are you sure? The knurling suggests to me that it is a cap and is threaded into the faucet handle. I would try putting some pliers on the knurling and trying to turn it.
Old 08-17-19, 07:45 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2017
Location: United States
Posts: 30
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I thought that may be the case as well, but when I try to remove with pliers it doesn't budge and is just stripping the knurling. It looks welded/attached to the knob.
Old 08-17-19, 09:57 AM
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 2,120
Received 72 Votes on 65 Posts
Yeah, I think those caps come off, whether threaded as looks to be the case, or pressed in and the knurls are just for aesthetics. And if they are threaded in I'm not so sure I would assume they are right hand threads. But like you said, who knows how old they are or if or when they were ever serviced, so I'd try some PB Blaster right around that joint for a day or two and see if it might work its' way in. Or you might even try some Lime Away or something like that if you have it because it's most likely calcium build up as opposed to rust.
Old 08-17-19, 12:46 PM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Jersey
Posts: 70,107
Received 2,957 Votes on 2,668 Posts
Those center covers definitely come off. I'm pretty sure they screw off.

Those are American Standard valves.
You will need a handle puller to get those handles off the shafts.
Pretty sure you will also need a deep faucet socket if you are going to be working on the valve seats.
CasualJoe voted this post useful.

Last edited by PJmax; 08-17-19 at 01:02 PM.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title: