Leak inside my wall

Old 10-07-19, 03:27 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Leak inside my wall

I live in an older style 2 story house. What I believe is an old cast iron drain pipe that runs from my basement through the roof is behind plaster wall in my living room. I noticed a dripping sound inside the wall when my son was taking a shower. So I stopped using the shower up there but recently heard it dripping when the toilet was flushed. So I am guessing the problem is with the pipe itself and not the shower drain or the toilet seal? Hopefully someone understands what's going on here and can give me a tip on how to assess the situation.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-19, 03:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It's possible to hear water dripping in the drain pipe.
Usually if there is a leak in that vertical run... it will run down to the basement.

The main stack in the wall is wet below the upstairs bathroom and a vent above the upstairs bathroom.
If you can't narrow down a location for the drip.... you may need to wait see a visible leak.

Old 10-07-19, 04:12 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 630 Votes on 582 Posts
Cast iron is still used in higher end construction because it is quiet. You can hear dripping inside the pipe but it's much more muffled sounding than dripping outside the pipe. If you don't recall hearing dripping in the past then it is possible something new is going on.

First I would go down in the basement where you can access the lower portions of the pipe. I would look and feel around the vertical sections of pipe coming down from above. It should be bone dry and dusty. If there is any dampness then you have a leak.

Old 10-08-19, 05:54 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have roof and siding construction and drywall experience. Is it a feasible task for me to fix myself? From what ive gathered from the web if i tear open the wall i can cut out a portion of the pipe if i can find the leak and use rubber clamp fittings to secure it and make it water tight... I am paying a guy to replace the main sewer line to the street this week which is costing about 3k... so anything I can tackle on my own is the route I need to go

Old 10-09-19, 03:49 AM
M
Received 157 Votes on 144 Posts
From your description I assume this is your main stack.
Before ripping up walls
I would go up on the roof and shine a good light down it perhaps you will see something.
If you cannot see anything then I would pull a hose up there and flush it out.
Running the hose with the water on all the way down to the basement.
You may have to borrow some hose.
Another indicator of a plugged or partially plugged stack is slow and/or gurgling drains.

If that does nothing then borrow or rent an inspection camera and run that down the pipe.
Might help locate the problem.

Old 10-09-19, 04:16 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 630 Votes on 582 Posts
I would not do anything drastic just yet. It is rare for the main stack to leak. More likely is a horizontal run somewhere with the leak weeping along the pipe until it hits the vertical or something as simple as a leaking toilet wax ring.

Old 10-09-19, 12:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
It would be pretty hard to hear a leak dripping with plaster. The plaster is sound deadening. If you're sure it's a leak.... then you must open inspection locations. There is no other way to locate it. If it were a leak of some consequence..... you'd see water following the main stack down to the basement.