Toilet to tank bolts

Old 10-23-19, 06:09 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Toilet to tank bolts

I just replaced the gasket between my toilet and tank and went ahead and replaced the bolts. The version I had did not have the washer and nut on the underside of the tank but now I realize the new version did have those parts. There is a space between the tank and toilet. Do I need to add the washer and nut or can I just leave it as is. Thoughts appreciated and not that this would change the answer but I have thrown away the washer and nut over the weekend.

Old 10-23-19, 06:44 AM
M
Received 294 Upvotes on 264 Posts
You do not absolutely need to but it is a good idea.

Then if the tank should rock a bit you do not have to worry about a leak at the bolts.

Old 10-23-19, 07:17 AM
M
I was also worried about the pressure on the tank thinking the washer and nut on the underside would help prevent the tank from cracking.

Old 10-23-19, 08:12 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
If it's installed and not leaking I wouldn't change anything. Normally I do use the extra washers & nuts on the bottom side of the tank. It allows you to completely assemble the tank before setting it on the bowl and it allows you to tighten the water sealing washer with less strain on the tank. But, it's been done both ways for decades so if what you have is not leaking I wouldn't go to the trouble to change it.

Old 10-24-19, 06:17 AM
M
Thank you for the input but last night I did have to tighten the wing nuts slightly from the weekend because of very minimal water leakage. Forgive me for the added paranoid question but if I did tighten so much that it cracked the tank, would it crack while tightening or is it possible that it would crack today or next week while at work and I would go home to a house full of water. I have not applied much pressure to the wingnut at this point.

Old 10-24-19, 06:31 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
It's possible that enough stress could be torqued but not crack the porcelain at the moment but might later. But not likely. It will most likely crack at the time you over tighten the bolts.

Old 10-24-19, 09:18 AM
R
Received 67 Upvotes on 52 Posts
I have thrown away the washer and nut over the weekend.
I did have to tighten the wing nuts slightly from the weekend because of very minimal water leakage
That's exactly why I don't throw away extra parts so quickly, you never know if or when you will need them.

Old 10-24-19, 10:18 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
if I did tighten so much that it cracked the tank, would it crack while tightening or is it possible that it would crack today or next week while at work and I would go home to a house full of water.

That would be hard to predict, but in my opinion it could crack at any time. I recently had to replace a set of tank bolts and gasket too and I definitely think you should have used the washer and nut on the bottom side of the tank just as the instructions say to do.

Old 10-24-19, 11:47 AM
M
Yes I should have read the instructions but in an effort to be complete quicker I just assembled it as it had been. I have learned my lesson.

Old 10-25-19, 07:46 AM
A
Received 277 Upvotes on 253 Posts
Many toilets do not have enough space between the tank and the bowl where they come together to put a nut in between. So the wing nut under the bowl flange has to impart the compression on the rubber washer inside the tank so as to prevent leaking.

I would recommend having a rubber washer down at the wing nut, to help even out stresses on the porcelain bowl flange..

The final sequence goes: bolt head, rubber washer, tank bottom, bowl flange, rubber washer, metal washer, wing nut.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: